Amp suggestions for use with H/K 520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I've seen some pretty good deals on amps on here and other forums over the past few days. But before I commit to one of them I thought I'd ask. Ideally I'd like to get a 200x7 amp like the Outlaw 770 but I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon. Right now I'm planning on driving the front 3 speakers with external amplification and the rears with the internal amp of the 520. I found 3 Marantz MA6100A monoblocks for sale that would fit the role nicely. My fronts consist of HTD Level 3 towers and a Level 3 center. I think the towers are rated to 150 watts and the center to 125 watts. But I would think that I could get away with 200 watts driving them as long as I don't crank up the volume beyond reason. After all, the theory goes that the more power you have the cleaner the lows will be.

I'm not really looking to get an amp to suit the speakers - I've been upgrading pretty rapidly and would like to get amplification with enough overhead to suit whatever speakers I eventually move up to.. be they Rockets, Paradigms, B&W or whatever..

My listening habits are going to be 60% music and 40% HT. But HT takes the front seat simply because that's where I'm much more critical of the sound.

2. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Why not a PA 2000... ?

Use it to power the mains, then later the rears when you pick up a more powerful amp for the mains (and perhaps center)

Can also look at the Anthem PV-7... 125 per channel (some say 100, but whatever, it's conservative)...

Remember, doubling wattage increases dB's by only three.

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Isn't a PA 2000 only a 2 channel amp? I'd like the fronts and center to all be powered by the same source.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Josh,

I think you've got a good plan already. The Marantz mono's will be a nice blend with the H/K processing and your HT frontstage will be balanced.

5. Lando P

Lando P Agent

How about a Rotel RMB-1066? It's a 6-ch amp @ 60wpc but you can bridge them to a 3-ch @ 150 wpc. It will give you flexibility in the future as you can use it as a 4 or 5 ch (one ch is quiescent) @ 70 wpc. Besides, I read that you still get the same audio quality on bridged or unbridged mode.

Regards.