What's new

Amp Suggestion????? (1 Viewer)

JohnLo

Auditioning
I'm now at the point where an amp would be my next upgrade & really not sure what would be the best way to go. How much power would I need 100-125-150-200 watts? I will use my Denon AVR2802 for now & run my rear channel with it. Would you suggest 2-3-5 channel to start? Budget is around $1500 75% HT 25% music My speakers are:
Mirage OM-7 Fronts 30Hz-20KHz @ 6ohms 90db
Mirage OM-C2 Center 38Hz-22KHz @ 8 ohms 91db
Mirage OM-R2 Sides 80Hz-22KHz @ 8 ohms 90db
Mirage OM-C3 Rear 40Hz-22KHz @ 8 ohms 91db
I'm leery of purchasing used on Audiogon etc.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I would say for me, amps are one of the least scary things to purchase used. Really there isn't much one can do to hurt them ... other than let them overheat ....

Anyway, your Mirages will be very happy with plenty of power. I would look at any good name, hugh current amps of at least 150 wpc.

3-channel is nice bec. it isn't TOO large/heavy, but gives you the same amplification across the front 3 speakers. That's where you are going to get the greatest benefit in discrete amplification. I have used Acurus for about 7 years now, but there are plenty of great names, new AND used.

If someone suggests pro amps, like Crown, be sure 1) you are ok with fan noise if you go for the budget variety, or 2) you go for the higher cost ones which do not have fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks