What's new

amp/speaker configuration, NEED ADVICE!! (1 Viewer)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I need to know what amps to match up with which speakers. Here is what I have (getting).

Mains I KNOW what I will match

SPEAKERS

B&W 804s--->Marsh a400s(2X200w)

THIS is where I need the advice

Center=B&W HTM2

Rears=601

Amps

NAD 214 (2X80w)

Rotel 976 (3X150w-bridged)

both amps are about the SAME level (the rotel isn't their top of the line amp, and only cost about $600, while the NAD was around $400, so 1 isn't necessarily better than another, PLUS I really can't hear much difference between them).

SO, do I (btw, the room is very small)

Option 1 (Rotel 2X150 bi-amped to HTM2) and (Nad 2X80 to each rear 601)

use Rotel and BI-AMP the center channel (remember B&Ws are power hungry) with 2 (of the 3) by 150W (possibly a little over kill as far as power goes for a center, but I have always felt you can't have too much power).

Option 2 (Rotel 2X150 to 2 601 rears) and (Nad 2X80 to bi-amp HTM2)

is the 80w times 2 in a bi-amp configuration enough for the HTM2? and will the 150w too much for the 601s for the amount (or lack there of) of info to the rear and the lesser quality of the 601 VS the HTM2 (I am not saying they are bad, but certainly NOT the 800 series).

Option 3 (Rotel 3X150 to all the 3 speakers) and save shelf space

Although, I like the idea of having different power supplies and seperate amps for more headroom, less crosstalk, etc....

any advice is appreciated????

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion, you won't get close to using all that power in a small room unless you listen at insane levels.

Try out various configurations until you're happy, although with decent kit like this, I expect any configuration will work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks