Amp shoot out questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jim_Nug, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Jim_Nug

Jim_Nug Auditioning

I have been looking at 5 channel amps and ran across a multichannel Home Theater Amp shoot out that occurred in June of 2004 in Minnesota. There were a number of amps submitted including the Plenius Odeon, the Theta DreadnaughtII, the Gemstone, a Bryston, and a Carver to mention a few.

One of the posters at AVS who had been in attendance mentioned that he thought the Theta was going to be his top choice. However its performance actually diminished once it warmed up (sort of counterintuitive). Then I saw a picture of the shoot out set up and all of the amps were stacked one atop the other in two stacks. They were not on racks stacked one above the other they were literally stacked on each other. The Dreadnaught was at the bottom of one of the stacks with a the Gemstone and two other amps on top of it. I do not think the Dreadnaught has much side venting with most of its venting out of the top. There was also a comment from one of the participants that some of the amps were fired up before hand so that they would be performing optimally when tested.

I was just wondering if heat induced by stacking the amps might have caused what I would have thought was an anomaly for the Dreadnaught (performing worse once warmed up).

In addition I think all of the data was taken in two channel which is probably the only practical way to try to do something like a multichannel amp shoot out. That said I don't wonder if that would have not been favorable to amps with either large or dedicated power supplies since the power supply probably does not get stressed as much with only two channels running.

Anyway I just thought I would ask this forum for comments if there are any.

2. John S

John S Producer

Could of caused some heat issues. I would not expect that though at this level. They should run fine very very hot if you ask me.

Just stacked them up aye??? Sort of funny, sort of not, if you know what I mean. I have my amps stacked, they get real hot. I did a test of them not stacked and they still got way hot, so I stacked em back up and have not had any issues with them in very prolonged use.

I figure they will help heat my house this winter.

3. Jim_Nug

Jim_Nug Auditioning

Point well taken John.

I was just trying to understand how in heck the DreadnaughtII could have sounded more impressive on start up than it did when it warmed up. Just does not make sense. I am inclined to believe that those that were there heard what they heard.

Thanks for responding.

4. John S

John S Producer

That means, maybe that piece would be worth some extra fan and air circulation efforts for it.

Maybe, really hard to say. Still can't believe they just stacked such high end amps one on top another though. geeesh

5. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Did the shootout use double blind testing? If not, I wouldn't trust any of the results.

Chris

6. Jim_Nug

Jim_Nug Auditioning

No, it was not a DBT. I would not be surprised if the results were not skewed at least some as a result. The benefit that they had as a group was that they could listen to them one after the other after the other and then go back and listen again. I suspect things like low level dynamics could be rated fairly under those conditions. However there are some characterizations of an amp or any piece of audio gear that are more susceptible to bias and in those areas I do think that it is difficult to keep bias from entering into the results.

They had a good deal more fun seeing what they were ranking at the same time. One of the interesting things about our hobby is that the industry is not terribly interested in scientific measurements (my opinion). We hobbyists should be interested in more scientific measurements. Ask us to participate in something that will be scientific or fun and we will pick "lets have fun" every time. Can you blame us?

To their credit they did try to keep the criteria from being measured in "this sounds better than that" kinds of characterizations. Those are truly suspect in my view.

As I recall for example they would ask you to rank an amp for low level dynamics using a rating system of 1-10.