1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Amp section in receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mario D, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Mario D

Mario D Extra

Some reviews i've read say (exp: the sound of this unit sounds compressed ) Now does that have anything to do with internal parts such as dac's, processor's,or is it strictly cause of the amp section.I always thought that amps were strictly power and don't understand why some amps sound better than others. I always thought that the internal part made the difference in the sound. (smoothness, dynamics, sound-stage, ect, ect, ect.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Amps also have internal parts that make a difference in sound. Like JFETs and MOSFETs sound different from Bi-polar transistors. Also the damping factor that is the amps ability to control woofers is determined by internal parts quality that leads to a low/high output impedance. You can spot differences in damping factor. Also overall output power capability can change with bigger better built power supplies. This is also something that can be spotted in a listening test at high volumes. Also how the amps are biased and designed can change their slew rates that will make a different sound. So you see amps also have internal parts that could very well change the sound quality like DACs and other internal components that you find in processors. However most modern day well built amps sound remarkably similar and you need a well trained ear or well acquainted music to be able to tell them apart when you first listen to them. Over a period of time when you become used to a certain kind of amp you can almost immediately tell if you plug another amp in the system.