What's new

Amp search (1 Viewer)

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, I have a couple of A200x3 amps and drive 4-ohm speakers with them. After some loud music those puppies are quite toasty. So, I don't think I would agree with the idea that Acurus amps run cool on a heavy load.

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
I personally would rate the Rotel RB985 above the Carver and at least on par with the Parasound HCA855. For a review of the Rotel take a look at Link Removed
A Rotel RB985 sold on ebay on August 30 for just under $500, so it can be found in your price range.
Mike

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

I sit corrected and will add that info to what I have read. I do not know what kind of speakers the other comments I have read were driving, they may have been 8-ohm.

Just out of curiousity, would you say you were running them really hard? Also, do you think they live up to their power rating?

RG

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, Adcoms are considered pretty warm. They use Mosfet transistors, which warm up the sound quite a bit. Mosfet is supposed to bring the sound of a solid state amp a little closer to the sound of a tube amp. Though, since I've never heard a tube amp, I have know idea if it's true.

Either way, I just got an Adcom 5503 (200+ wpc x 3) to power my fronts and center, and I couldn't be happier.

I'm now using my yamaha receiver as a pre/pro, and have Infinity's throughout.

Hope this helps,

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
coreyH you are first person who told me that parasound is warm, otherwise all the reviews i read suggested that its on bright side, anyways after all the suggestions and reviews. I came across to the following three.

Parasound Hca-855a
Carver 705x
adcom gfa-7400

but I am still not sure which of the above is the best performer for the money.

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator

Actually Kevin, I was talking about my Adcom, not a Parasound. I'm sorry that you took it that way.

I've never heard a Parasound, so I couldn't say how it sounds one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks