Amp(s) for Lexicon MC-1 ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett M, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Brett M

Brett M Auditioning

Hi all-

I'm moving from a receiver-based setup to a separates setup, and needed some advice, please. I'm going to a Lexicon MC-1 (I'd love the MC-12, but can't afford it, and the deals on the MC-1 are now killer). I've got the B&W NT setup all around: 9NT fronts, CNT center, and 4 SNT surrounds for the rears and sides. I'm also running a Velodyne SPL 1200 as my powered sub.

The system is pretty solid, in my opinion, but I'm more ignorant about amps than my other components. I'm looking at 7 channels, obviously, and right now the B&K reference 7270 has been recommended to me. I'd like feedback on that, as well as some other options like the Outlaw 770, Parasound, etc., etc. That should give you both a quality and price range to play within ;-) I am also not hung up on one amp versus two or more; I'd rather have quality over convenience.

Also, I've gone with the MC-1 (an older Lexicon) as opposed to an Anthem AVM-20 (the newest model), because I just hear so much good about Lexicon. Thoughts on that are also very welcome.

Thanks for the help!

2. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

brett,
    first of all congratulations for your choice to go with separates, i promise you will never regret it, especially not with a mc-1 [​IMG]
    there are a lot of good power amps on the market and it's almost impossible to recommend a brand here. maybe you've got the chance to borrow some amps by your local dealer and see which brand matches best with your b&w speakers. the lex mc-1 can be considered as pretty neutral so, there's no need to look for a forward sounding or more laid back sounding power amp. it all depends on your room acoustics and on your speakers.
    personally i use for my mc-1 one 2 channel and one 5 channel power amp from primare which is a swedish company. they blend fantastic with the lex and my def tech speakers.
    well, try for yourself and have fun.
    regards, holger

3. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I agree with the 5+2 idea. I have Rotel RB-1090 for the mains and RMB-1095 for the rest. Lots of power and beautiful sound. Rotel goes beautifully with B&W (I have DM630s, NHTM2, DS6 and some crap as rears).
    Marc

4. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Let us know what kind of budget you have to play with. It should make it easier to narrow down a few amps for you.
    Congrats on MC-1 [​IMG] What receiver were you coming from?

5. Brett M

Brett M Auditioning

I'm moving from an Onkyo 989 to the Lexicon MC-1. I've also upgraded from a rather poor set of Atlantic Technology speakers to the B&W setup, so this is a major jump for me [​IMG]
    One problem to note is that in Waco, high-end audio dealers are more or less non-existent. There is little (read: none) oppurtunity to try things out and listen, which is why I'm asking for some good solid opinions on this.
    As for budget, I'd seen the B&K Ref 7270 at $2500 on audiogon.com, the Outlaw stuff was less, I'd seen some 5 ch. + 2 ch. sets (like a Sunfire Cinema Grand and Sunfire Series II) come in around $3000... all these are in my "sweet spot" in terms of payment.
    I could probably stretch to $3500 or $4000 if there was a huge jump from the range I'm playing in to what I could get there... keep in mind I'm talking audiogon.com/street prices, not list. Those are fairly useless for me to use as a comparison point.
    Hope that narrows things... again, I've gone all out on the room (completely drywalled, slicked, built columns, lighting, etc.), and don't want to cheap out on sound (thus, the MC-1). So if I'm going to crater my sound with a poor amp, please let me know!
    Thanks

6. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

The Rotel combo I listed above is SRP RB-1090(2x380) $2k and SRP RMB-1095 (5x200) $2k but I got the package for $3300. Also check out sherbourn. They have a 5/1500A 200x5 that can be had for about $1500. They also have monoblocks that fit in a box for 1-5 channels.

You will be impressed with the upgrade from the onkyo. That is what I did. I went for the Anthem Avm-20 though and can't believe what I have been missing from the 989.

Good luck
    Marc

7. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

I'd recommend looking into used Brystons or Lexicons. Lexicon has been selling re-badged Brystons for several years with the DC-1/DC-2/MC-1 processors so I'm sure that's what they'd recommend. Not sure how that combo sounds with the B&Ws though. I have the 9B/MC-1/DefTech combo and I am extremely happy with it. [​IMG]
    Check ebay and audiogon, you can get the 5 channel Bryston 9B-THX/Lexicon NT-512 for between $2000-2500 and the 2 channel 3B-ST/NT-212 for between $800-1300. New units with full warranty at the upper end of the price range. The Bryston ST/Lexicon NT models have recently been discontinued so you should be able to score an excellent deal on any of their models. And if you go with Bryston, you can't go wrong with that 20 year warranty.

8. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Just lucked out on a brand new Outlaw 770 for $cHeAp$...and will be using it with the MC-1. Can't wait!