Amp Rec's for New Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanielK, Sep 8, 2002.

1. DanielK

DanielK Stunt Coordinator

Jan 23, 2002
    As a newbie to hometheater, I'd appreciate any amp recommendations (5 or 7 channel, around $1500 or less, new or used). I'll be mating the amp to the Outlaw 950 pre/pro, Onix Rocket speakers, SVS subwoofer. I plan on 80/20 movies/music. Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Nov 21, 2001
    I own the Parasound 1205A which can be found for less than $1000. A lot of the good folk over here bought them for less than $700 at, but they haven't appeared there in quite a while. It is a wonderfully warm sounding amp, but, as it's my first power amp, I really can't compare it to others. But, it has made my system sooooooo sweet sounding. Personally, I think that it would match up very nicely with the Outlaw, but, again, I haven't heard the Outlaw. I ordered the Rotel pre/pro because it is reportedly a bit warmer sounding than the Outlaw and it would hopefully match up well with my Klipsch speakers. But, I digress, as usual. In your price range, I've also heard great things about Rotel, Sherbourne, B & K, and a few others. I'd recommend that you do a search of amps on this board and you'll receive a wealth of information. Why aren't you considering one of the Outlaw amps, especially because I thought they gave you a discount if you purchased both.