1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Amp recommendations - 7 channels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gregstaten, Oct 23, 2001.

1. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

As my dedicated room gets closer and closer to construction (construction goes out to bid in two weeks) I need to decide on the amp(s) I need to use. I am going with Triad Gold LCR speakers across the front and Triad Gold Surround speakers on the sides and rear walls. All told, I have seven speakers to power (three front, two side, two rear).
    I need about 100-150 watts per channel into 4 ohms. I realize I'll probably not find a single seven channel amp that will serve my needs so I'll probably have to go with two or more amps. What I'm wondering is what you folks would recommend. Anyone have any preferences? I'm somewhat concerned with cost (i.e. - California Audio is pretty much right out) as the room keeps getting more and more expensive, but also want to do it right.
    Any thoughts?
    -greg

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Well, the Outlaw770 is supposed to be coming out fairly soon(not sure when) it will be 7 channels at 200watts per channel into 8ohms. It of course will be pretty powerful at 4ohms. Price will be around $1799. If you don't want/can't wait for that one, I just picked up a Parasound HCA855A from ubid at $440 delivered. It is 125watts X 5 into 4ohms. You could then pick up a decent 2 channel amp for your mains(or whatever 2 channels you want to use it for). The HCA 855A gets great reviews. I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival by the end of the week. Parasound makes some great 2 channel amps also at reasonable prices. Good luck.

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Another possiblity would be a Rotel RMB 1075 (120 X 5) and 1070 (130 X 2). You should be able to pick up the combo for about $2k or a little less.
    Hope this helps.

4. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Well what kind of money are you spending?
    There is always the Citation 7.1
    or...
    A Parasound HCA 1205A and a Parasound HCA 1000A
    This should be an awesome setup especially in your rack!
    The HCA 1205A can be had for about $1000 and the HCA 100A for about $500-600.

5. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

B&K has the THX Ultra 7270, I believe 200x7 @8ohms, and close to [email protected] It's relatively new and I haven't seen any reviews on line....but there are many happy B&K owners around.
    Jeremy

6. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor