What's new

Amp/ Receiver for Klipsch RF-7 System (1 Viewer)

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
Hello everyone,

Im new to this forum, but it seems like a lot of you know a lot about home theater setups. I have a Klipsch RF-7 System. (RF7 fronts, RC7 center, 2 sets of RS7 for the surrounds and rear centers, and I have 2 RSW10 subs. I have yet to decide what amp/preamp or receiver I should use for this setup. Any suggestions and reasons why I should choose a certain amp, would greatly help in my decision. Some choices I have for receivers are Denon AVR-4802, AVR-5803, or Yamaha RXZ-1. For amps/preamps I was thinking Aragon 2007 and the Aragon Preamp/processor. Any thoughts/suggestions on these or any other suggestions I havent listed? Please help! haha.

Thanks,
Jaime

Yogi

Screenwriter
For Klipsch you would be better of going with something that has a warmer sound like, B&K, Parasound or Rotel. Klipsch being a bright speaker wouldn't mate well with a neutral amp/preamp like Aragon, Bryston or Anthem. In receivers I would go with a Denon or Marantz rather than a Yamaha to go with Klipsch.

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
Yogi,

If I went with parasound, should I wait until there Halo series 5 channel amp comes out? I know the old models have already gone clearence. Also I have heard that parasound is having production problems with there 5 channel halo stuff, and its been delayed until late next year. Yet, I do have access to their 2 channel halo amps, should I just get serveral of these and use them with a reciever for the processing? If so how many of these should I get and what config, should I put them in (ex: brige the fronts and use them as monoblocks, or jus use them as 2-channel amps) If I were to go with the Denon, should I go with the 120 watt AVR 4802 or the 170 watt per channel AVR 5803?

Thanks,
Jaime

Yogi

Screenwriter
Jimmy,
You can get the older series of Parasound amps at a closeout price. There are several of these 220W x 5 on sale every now and then on ebay and audiogon. They are excellent for the price. Also Rotel and B&K are another option as far as amplification goes. My personal favourite is B&K. Their amps have a very warm signature, almost tube like and they should be an excellent match to Klipsch. In fact our local Tweeter has the B&K separates system mated with Klipsch in their reference theater system and it sounds awesome. Right now closeout B&K gear (Ref 30 + 7270) can be had for a little over the cost of a 5803 (I think). Ofcourse you would be lacking DTS-ES and PLII. So thats something to keep in the back of your mind.
Rotel 1066+ 1095+1080 would also make a sweet sounding system with Klipsch for a little over the 5803 price. I would have suggested the Outlaw combo (950+770) but it might come out sounding a little too lean and forward on your system. AVM 20 is a good option if you can mate it with a warmer sounding B&K or Rotel amp.
If you have to go receiver route then go with the 4802 as the nominal 1 db gain in power can be more than offset with the savings that would allow you to add a separate 5 channel amp for even better performance than the 5803. In fact I suggest you wait to audition the 3803 that sounds like a it would make a sweet prepro for less than 1K. That would give you plenty of options to add a beefy multi channel amp for rock solid performance as you upgrade along the way. In fact had I not purchased the 3802 last year I would have purchased the 3803:frowning: and hooked it up to my Proceed+B&K amplification and had a killer system, IMHO.
Hope it helps.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
I have the start of a RF7 system paired with the denon 4802. You won't be dissapointed. Just flip on the Lobby scene in the matrix, crank it up to about -5 db and be amazed. You won't believe how good it sounds.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Jimmy if I were you I'd get some rb-5's for the rear surrounds. I think most people recommend getting monopoles for the rear channels. THX recommends it, and you can search for posts in regards to this. I know there have been some posts. Do you plan to do any multi-channel audio if so then it'd definitely be in your interest to get some monopoles.

I have a similiar setup I have the rf-5's, rc-7, rs-7's side surrounds, and some JBL N24's for rears, my sub is a Velodyne HGS-10 (awesome), and I use the 49tx. The Rf-7's cost to much , were to big, and had to much bass for my very small room.

Daniel Smith

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Jimmy, I have the rf7 towers and the rc7 center. But I still have my polk rt55's for rears and nothing for left and right surround. So basically just the front but it still sounds awesome. I think I could knock windows out of my house if I wanted too. I'm wanting to get some rf5's or rf3's to replace my rears and some rs7's for my right and left surrounds.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
i have Klipsch RB5 II mains, RC3 II center & RS3 II surrounds & found they sound best hooked up to a Yamaha(rx-v1 or rx-z1)

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, a friend of mine has the klispch rf7 setup too and it sounds pretty awesome on his yamaha. Not sure on the model number but he's had if for about a year and a half now.

DanaA

Screenwriter
My Klipsch RB5ii's sound fantastic with my Parasound amp, when compared with the Onkyo I used before. The Parasound is much warmer, while presenting a significantly better sound stage and positioning of the instruments.

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
hey guys,

I just tested out the RF5 at my local stores with the yamaha rxz1 and the avr 5803. It seemed to me that the denon was warmer , than the yamaha. It seemed as though with the yamaha the highs were too harsh. With my current setup I have yamaha hooked up with some Energy Audisseys and they sound great, but that could be due to the energy speakers being much more mellow than the horn on a klipsch. I also heard the energy veritas 2.4 on a monoblocked parasound stereo setup. Each speaker using an a23 amp bridged. What do you guys think about the veritas 2.4 for theater use? I think I like the klipsch better for theater and the veritas better for music. So far I think I would either go with the parasound setup or denon for my amplification for my rf7 setup. Gotta check out the B&K still.

Jaime

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Jimmy_zdc,

Along with the other suggestions above you may want to look at the Harman Kardon receivers also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks