Amp Question?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Curt Badry, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Curt Badry

Curt Badry Stunt Coordinator

I have a DT300 Amp. I am building a 214L Adire Alignment ported enclosure tuned to 15.4hz. My amp has dip switches on the inside to change the base boost. I figured that i would want it set to flat. But there are three freq to choose from,(to set it flat) 18hz,20hz,23hz. I would have to remove the amp from the enclosure to change them once it's installed. Can someone please tell me which frequency i'd be better off with. I was thinking 18hz just because it is the closest to my tuning frequency( but i may be wrong).

Thanks for your help guys.

2. Curt Badry

I have a DT300 Amp. I am building a 214L Adire Alignment ported enclosure tuned to 15.4hz. My amp has dip switches on the inside to change the base boost. I figured that i would want it set to flat. But there are three freq to choose from,(to set it flat) 18hz,20hz,23hz. I would have to remove the amp from the enclosure to change them once it's installed. Can someone please tell me which frequency i'd be better off with. I was thinking 18hz just because it is the closest to my tuning frequency( but i may be wrong).

Thanks for your help guys.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

What's the point of in having a sub with a 15.4Hz tuning point and using that filter?

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

What's the point of in having a sub with a 15.4Hz tuning point and using that filter?

5. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Thomas is always such a master of brevity...

But he's right. Why build a big, vented subwoofer that's flat to 15Hz, and then roll it off at 18 with a filter. Leave the filter out/off. Yes, you will be potentially exposing the sub to bottoming if driven by high level signals below Fb... but Geez, there's not much below 15Hz!

6. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Thomas is always such a master of brevity...

But he's right. Why build a big, vented subwoofer that's flat to 15Hz, and then roll it off at 18 with a filter. Leave the filter out/off. Yes, you will be potentially exposing the sub to bottoming if driven by high level signals below Fb... but Geez, there's not much below 15Hz!

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Curt, it’s hard to argue with Dave’s and Thomas’s logic. However, what they forgot to tell you is, that’s not a “bass boost” switch. It’s a high pass filter, to roll off the low frequencies at one of those settings. If you truly want it to be flat, you need to engage the defeat switch (assuming there is one).

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Curt, it’s hard to argue with Dave’s and Thomas’s logic. However, what they forgot to tell you is, that’s not a “bass boost” switch. It’s a high pass filter, to roll off the low frequencies at one of those settings. If you truly want it to be flat, you need to engage the defeat switch (assuming there is one).

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Actually 'we' didn't forget anything. :wink:

Sorry for the edits, the server was acting up as I posted this......

10. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Actually 'we' didn't forget anything. :wink:

Sorry for the edits, the server was acting up as I posted this......

11. Curt Badry

Thanks guys for your help, My amp has a soft limiting switch. (on/off). Limits the output signal to reduce the chances of damaging the sub due to too large an imput signal. Is this what i turn off?. I understand that it makes no sence to have my sub tuned to 15.4 and have my amp roll off higher than that, but i either have to set the dip switches for a bass correction (bass boost 3+db or 6db)or have no correction. To have no correction i have to set the dip switches to either 18,20,23?
    Also I have a DD yamaha reciever with sub out, i am assuming that i connect my reciever to the low level imput. If so ,which one? left or right(if it matters).
    He is my amp DT300

Sorry for all the questions, but i just want to get it right. Thanks
    Curt

12. Curt Badry

Thanks guys for your help, My amp has a soft limiting switch. (on/off). Limits the output signal to reduce the chances of damaging the sub due to too large an imput signal. Is this what i turn off?. I understand that it makes no sence to have my sub tuned to 15.4 and have my amp roll off higher than that, but i either have to set the dip switches for a bass correction (bass boost 3+db or 6db)or have no correction. To have no correction i have to set the dip switches to either 18,20,23?
    Also I have a DD yamaha reciever with sub out, i am assuming that i connect my reciever to the low level imput. If so ,which one? left or right(if it matters).
    He is my amp DT300

Sorry for all the questions, but i just want to get it right. Thanks
    Curt

13. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

A little hard to do this in the abstract...........

It appears from the .pdf that there are 2 sets of internal DIP switches. Put both of them to the all 'off' position. All in either the up or down position. I can't tell which direction, since there's no diagram of the switches themselves. Doing that will turn off both the bass boost and the roll-off filter.

As for the sub-out, try both, see if there's any difference

14. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

A little hard to do this in the abstract...........

It appears from the .pdf that there are 2 sets of internal DIP switches. Put both of them to the all 'off' position. All in either the up or down position. I can't tell which direction, since there's no diagram of the switches themselves. Doing that will turn off both the bass boost and the roll-off filter.

As for the sub-out, try both, see if there's any difference