What's new

amp question (1 Viewer)

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
ok here goes, i have a pioneer elite 39tx reciever . i am usuing it as a preamp,the amplifer i am usuing is a ati 2505. the problem is the volts comming from the pioneer is 1 and the input of the ati is 2.4 . i didnt know any of this amttered before i bought the new ati amp. but now the new amp sounds reallt no louder then what the pioneer was doing before. and i couldnt figure out why. i called both pioneer and ati and they said that was my problem, not enough output volts to give what the ati needed. pioneer suggested getting something to boost the signal up some to fix this problem. ( this is a 5 channel amp) as for ati they will get back to me in a few days as they as speaking to the tech dept. any idears out there short of buying a new preamp. does somehting exist that will go in between the two compontens to boost the signal volts ???????
frank

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Frank,

From what I recall, the volts being passed from the receiver or pre/pro didn't have anything to do with the power outputs. Take car head units for example, those with 4 volt pre-outs were a better choice because they could provide a cleaner signal to the amp.

Also, keep in mind that with amps, it takes quite a few additional watts to notice a difference. Amplifier power needs to be doubled in order to get a 3dB increase. We can notice the increases usually as small as 1dB. Have you tested the output of your receiver with an SPL meter and then tested the output again once the amp was connected ? Maybe, with the meter, you'll be able to see where the amp is of an actual benefit. Finally, while the amp does not seem like it's producing more output, but it might be producing *cleaner* output than your receiver alone could provide.

Best of luck !

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
i thought the same thing as what you are saying. i did double my power reciever was 125 times 5 and amp is 250 times 5. also when i really didnyt hear a difference is whan i called pioneer and ati. and both stated that the outputs of the reciever dont through out enough signal ( volts ) to get the ati amp going the way it is suppose to. infact the tech at pioneer said thats why is a good idear to match pre and pro. frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks