amp question: Sherbourn 7/2100 vs ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianChim, Nov 2, 2002.

1. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

I have a question. The new Sherbourn 7/2100 seems like it will be a great amp. The 5/1500 has always received great reviews and seems very popular here. My question is: does the 7 toroidal transformers/7 mono blocks and heat sinks offer a distinct advantage over a similar 7 channel 200 watt amp with a different design. For example, I know most of the other multichannel amps (Anthem, B&K, Aragon, Outlaw, etc.) have only 1 or 2 toroidal transformers, and seem to get pretty good reviews as well. Any opinions?

2. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

Anyone?

3. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

Hi Brian,

The advantage of the monoblock design is all channels will receive the rated power regardless of the load place on the unit as a whole. Back in the days of Dolby pro-logic this was not a big deal because the surround speakers were not full range and always require less power than the fronts and center. With Dolby Digital and DTS having full range surrounds it is possible to have all channels requiring the full rated output.

The advantage of the traditional design would be the ability to give a channel more power than the rated output if the other channels were not demanding the power. Some manufacturers tout this as a benefit with terms such as "power steering".

I have 2 5/1500 Sherbourn's, the a and the non a, and I love them dearly.

Frank

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

There are some benefits to having one pool of power for all channels as opposed to multi-mono design. Usually movie tracks require only one or two channels going full blast at a given time and a single large power suppply will be able to handle this demand better as it will be able to deliver more than its rated power for that short duration, while a multi mono design can never deliver more than its rated power. With multichannel music however the case is different and in that case a multi-mono design might be favorable. Mono designs have better performance for music as they achieve better stereo separation, imaging and soundstaging compared to a single power suppply design as the demands of one channel can modulate the output of the other channels. So it all depends on your intended use. If you are mostly into music (esp. multichannel) then its better to go for a multi-mono design while of you plan on using the amp for mainly HT then it would be better to get a single power supply design. That being said you will be hard pressed to find any difference in performance between say the 5/1500 or a Rotel 1095. I have a 7250 and it has never run out of juice. In fact I once bottomed out my speakers at reference levels, which happens to be 26 db below the max volume on my recv.

Dont worry about the design aspect of your amp and get the one who's sound you like the best.

Best of luck.

5. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

Thanks guys.