Amp question: Is it possible to drive two rear speakers w/1 amp channel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Just wondering...if that's possible. The amp is 80 watts and high current. The speakers are 8ohm. If so, how do you wire them in this experiment? thanks

2. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Yes you can do it. But keep in mind that basically the amp will be seeing a 4 ohm load, so make sure its rated for that. Also you wont be able to calibrate the speakers to independent db settings.

3. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

But wouldn't you also only be receiving one channel of sound to the 2 rear speakers?

In other words, how are the 2 independent channels going to be kept discrete when running off 1 channel of an amp since one RCA would be used from the amp to the receiver/pre/pro?

4. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

If he's doingf a rear 2 of a 7.1, they are playing the same information anyway. He just needs fudge his calibration (factor of 2) to get them loud enough.

If you've only got one channel of amplification left, why not?

edit: Oh, and in aswer to your question on wiring, in parallel will give you an apparent 4 ohm load with 8 ohm speakers.

BB

5. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Or perhaps you can wire it in series...wouldn't the amp see it as 16 ohms?

6. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Yes, but that would half his available power, and unless 40 wpc is enough to keep up with the rest of the system, he might not be able to balance.

Just thought of something else though. Is this one channel of a stereo amp? A lot of amps do NOT like to see different impedance loads on the 2 channels.

BB

7. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

I was wondering this too...I am thinking of upgrading when Onkyo's 600 comes out(dts-es, dd-ex), and it only has one channel for the rear...so I wondering if I could run two from it too. This won't hurt the reciever at all?? also, does the new Onkyo have an output for the rear center(some do), if so, I can just use my old Onkyo to amplify it.

8. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

BTW guys, it's a five channel amp. I guess this would be only good if the info sent to the speakers is mono...??