Amp power cord

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yogi, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I am planning on making my own power cord for my B&K 7250 as it came with a piss poor 16/3 ga powercord. I thought that since I have 12 ga wiring through out my house I might make a power cord with atleast the same ga. I don't know if it will make any difference in sound but I am going to make one nevertheless, since its so simple to make. I am thinking of going 12/3 or 10/3 ga. My question is do I use a cord which has a few 'fat' conductors or one that has many 'thin' conductors? Which will give me better current delivery? Also do I use sheilded/unsheilded cable, given the fact that I dont have any ground loop issues. My speakers and the amps are dead silent (can't hear any hiss 1 inch away from the tweeters at full 18 db volume). Any other suggestions from the cable experts?

Thanks in advance.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well I'd think if you're going to go that way Yogi, you'd be better off with multiple strands since flexibility is going to be much better. You might as well go whole hog and have it shielded as well as pick up some ferrite beads or sleeves.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Thanks Chu for the suggestion. I didn't think of flexibility issues. Thanks for pointing that out. Will multiple small conductors be better at carrying high currents than a few fat conductors? Or it doesn't matter at 60 Hz?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I really think it's 6 of one Yogi. If I'm not mistaken, there's actually a tad more wire when you go stranded but by no stretch of the imagination are you going to be pulling 15 amps through that wire. Just be meticulous, make sure your points of attachment have been cleaned and find someone to paint a little Yogi logo on the outside.

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Well the two wires I am looking at are both 12ga/3 but on one each conductor has seven thick wires per conductor and on the other it has like 30-40 thinner stranded wires per conductor. So I dont know which one to go with.
    I'll paint the Yogi logo on the wire myself[​IMG] Thanks for the suggestion[​IMG]

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well you could always head on over to Granite's site and see how they do it. If I'm not mistaken, it's more of the little strands. Make sure the plug you're considering can take the gauge you plan on using.