Amp playing hum

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bruce Teague, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Bruce Teague

Bruce Teague Auditioning

I'm hearing a slight buzzing sound coming from my speakers and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. I've swapped out various cables and turned different things on and off and it goes away when I turn the TV off so I imagine its coming from there. Any suggestions on how to make it go away?

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

First you need to track down the source of the hum. This is a pretty common problem and can range from easy to very difficult to resolve mostly because of the many potential causes. However, I'd suggest you read this thread
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ht=ground+loop
    Especially take a look at the link provided by John G.

And search the forum for other threads on the general topic. There are quite a few and they should prove helpful.

3. Bruce Teague

Bruce Teague Auditioning

I'm pretty sure its from the TV since it goes away when I turn the TV off. I imagine the noise is getting into the rca's that run into the sub amp since it doesn't occur when the sub amp isn't hooked up. I just can't figure out how to make it go away. I've changed the rca's, seperated them from other cables, moved them around and what not. I'll check out that other thread though. Thanks. I just tried unplugging the cable, still makes the buzz. Even when I still pull the sound from the cable through the vcr and have the tv off the buzz is gone. When I put my ear up to the tv and turn the speakers off, the tv itself makes an actual buzz as well.

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

If the TV is buzzing with the speakers off and that's the same buzz then I'd say the TV has a problem. Is it a tube TV? How old?

5. Bruce Teague

Bruce Teague Auditioning

The tv itself buzz's, not the tv speakers. You may have known that but I just wanted to make it clear in case I wasn't before. I've had the tv for 2 years and it was just a cheap 150 dollar tube tv. About a year ago I dropped it while moving so the sound cut out and now up in both corners one is magenta and the other is green, sometimes yellow. I can't hear the buzzing inside the tv unless I'm right up on it. It sounds simular to the buzz when I turn the speakers on so I feel that its probably the cause of the problem. I just don't know how to get it out of the signal. I definately think I should just buy another tv and see if that fixes it, but I've already ran the idea by the wife and it didn't go over to well. I'm not really sure why if it is the tv, the buzz isn't picked up in the signal when I dont have the sub amp hooked up though. Maybe the extra rca's are picking up the signal?

6. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

By your description I'd say it was time for a new TV.

7. Bruce Teague

Bruce Teague Auditioning

Hold on let me give you my phone #, ask for Morgan and tell that to my wife. I definately agree.