What's new

Amp or New Receiver?? (1 Viewer)

Jack

Agent
Hi,

I currently have a Yamaha 2095, Paradigm monitor 7's, adp 450's rear, and the cc center. I was thinking of getting a couple speakers for front effects, so the question, should I get a new amp to drive all these, get a new receiver RXZ1 to get all the latest and greatest technology Dolby II, 6.1 DTS etc etc.

Thanks

Jack

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
First, how much money do you have? I always go seperates, but you have to ask yourself a couple of questions. Do I want all the latest features now? Can I wait on those features and get a better amp now than is in receivers? And more. If you want the latest features now, along with the newest surround formats, get the receiver. If you can wait, as I would, get the amp.

The new Yamaha is a fantastic receiver, and from what I know can be had cheaper than other high end models. But, it's all depends on what your answers are to those questions. Knowing what your price range is would be helpful.

DexS

Grip
Hi

I suggest getting an amp and use your yammie as a processor. The difference will be huge. I have just matched my denon with a rotel 5 channel and the improvement in sound is significant. This way you can keep your 5 channel for seperates down the road.

Have Fun

Dex

Jack

Agent
Hi,
I would like to stay under $2000, I still need to buy a new HDTV in the future....:b :D
Jack

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I would go for the receiver. I think you would notice more of a difference by introducing the latest processor technologies (Dolby II, 6.1 DTS, etc) then you would by upgrading your amp.

Either start with a new receiver or you might even be able to get a great pre-amp/amp combo for around 2000...maybe a little over.

Thanks,

Jeff

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
to get all the latest and greatest technology Dolby II, 6.1 DTS etc etc.
Question is: Are you going to use all those new features? You would need another speaker for 6.1 as well as software. If your happy with the 5.1DD/DTS you have now then get an new amp. I would go with a good 3 channel to power the front soundstage. Let the Yamaha power the rears. You will be amazed at the new detail that comes out of your speakers.

Kevin

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
It would be better to get an AMP for maximum improvement in sound (after speakers) since there is not much out there in terms of 6.1 software. You can hold on to 5.1 for now. Formats keep changing but a good amp would last you a lifetime. Once there is sufficient 6.1 software out there you can upgrade the processor/receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks