amp-only w/digital input ... does one exist?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ted Lee, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

a friend was asking if a stand-alone amp existed that had an optical input. afaik, one does not ... but wasn't sure.

does anybody know of one? oh yeah, it has to be inexpensive. [​IMG]

thx!

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

by "stand-alone" do you mean power-amp? if so, how would the amp decode the digital signals?

there are the TacT digital amplifiers that have digital inputs, but they are expensive and don't say if they are optical. I guess there should be a couple.

the same digital Equibit amps are powering the Panasonic XR series, so you might want to take a look at them (Panasonic XR55, XR70)

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

lol ... that's a good point and one i didn't even think of. no wonder they don't exist. [​IMG]

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Also, AV123 are working on a cheap "fully digital integrated amp" called X-Empower (40W, $69 iirc, since the forum seems to be down when I posted this)

I can only guess "fully digital" means that it will take a digital input, and that is directly converted to PWM (instead of a DAC stage)

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Ted
    Sony use to sell 'integrated amps' with digital inputs.
    I had one of their ES cd players that had it's own volume control and could go straight into a amp.
    The old "direct is better" concept.
    grant

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

The Yamaha takes an analogue signal (balanced or unbalanced) and amplifies it. A preamp would still be required.

Sharp made an amplifier based on direct stream digital--it connected, via proprietary means, to a sacd transport. But it was still an integrated amplifier,

Review of Sharp SM SX1000