Amp limiter in PC-Ultra?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by GabeAJ, Dec 19, 2004.

1. GabeAJ

GabeAJ Auditioning

I know that the PB12-Ultra/2 (or whatever superelongated name it has now) has a limiter to keep the amp from cooking the driver. Does the PCU? I've got a new pair here and I want to know if I can flog them without concern.

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

All the Indigo BASH amps have limiters. They essentially allow transients to pass, but the steady state stuff (like a steady sine) is ramped down.

I think the limiter is there to help prevent the amp from being cooked as well as the driver. There is a fuse in the amp too, which will eventually blow if you play steady state source material long and loud enough.

None of these devices give you carte blanche to wail on the subs with impunity; you can still damage the woofer by overdriving the sub. There will be signs of impending disaster - noticeable compression will set it and the sub won't play any louder despite increases in the master volume. This is a big warning sign to back off. Push it any harder and you can bottom out the woofer.

With dual PC-Ultra though, you'll have to be playing them mighty loud before overdriving ever becomes a genuine concern.