Amp kit for bass shakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JasonWynia, May 27, 2005.

1. JasonWynia

JasonWynia Agent

So, after reading in Make magazine about the fact that PartsExpress.com bought a truckload of bass shakers and were offering them at *dirt* cheap prices (under $30 a pair), I ordered a couple.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=299-027

Now, I'm looking for an amp or an amp kit to drive them. The article talked about using "an old receiver" with the alternative being to buy a whole receiver. That seemed to completely ignore just going down the basic power amp route.

Since they only need about 25W each to max out, a full-size receiver seems like both price and size overkill. So, I'm looking for either a homebrew amp kit or a plate amp, etc. in that 25Wx2 into 4Ohm range that also will fit with the fact that the shakers themselves have only set the project back $30, so dropping even $100 on an amp is going to feel wasteful even if it really isn't.

If I could hide the amp inside the couch along with the shakers that would be a plus. My plan was to split the LFE output between my SVS and this new amp/shakers.

2. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Just as Aaron suggested, inexpensive plate amps work great because you can also control the crossover point too. Thats what I use.

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

if you want to try your hand at building an Amp

Check out Chipamp.com the LM3875 stereo kit would do you just fine, all you would need is to get a transformer, some wire, RCA and binding posts, and your choice of case. theres tons of info out their under the term Gain Clone. all could be had for around 100 bucks or slightly more.

5. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

6. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

You're going to need more than two...

7. JasonWynia

JasonWynia Agent

Quite possible. However, I've got a box full of electronics that I was *certain* I would "need" and it turned out I didn't. So, I was sticking with ordering 2 and a matching amp, making a basic kit that could be repeated as necessary until I'm happy. In this case, it's not like skimping on the driver for a sub or main speaker. It's pretty much a raw count which can be augmented in a matter of a few days via UPS and VISA.

I've also learned over time on this forum that "how much" is almost always a subjective subject with a really wide range of answers that are all true and correct ... to the person speaking.

Before I bought my SVS, I was told that I needed at least 2 of them or it just wouldn't "fill the room". However, I bought one (and the smallest one they sell) it manages to shake the windows, flap the dog doors, and rattle anything loose anywhere in the basement.

I ended up ordering one of the plate amps from partsexpress, though I may still look for a DIY amp and possibly another pair of shakers. I didn't get the 70W because every DIY project with these that I've read indicated that it's easy to overdrive them and you can get annoying extraneous noise. So, I grabbed the 25W stereo amp and will see how it goes.

8. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

you know if i dident just upgrade my sub to 4 ava 18in i would get these. but i get so much bass it is scary.

9. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Even your 4 18's won't reproduce this much vibration in a piece of furniture. Especially if your in the basement on a concrete floor.

10. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

yeah but you can realey feel them

11. Garret_O

Garret_O Agent

I've been looking at these for a while myself.

Anyone have any feedback on these:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=299-028

vs the previous model:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=299-027

I'm thinking about building a platform for my fouton. Seems to me a pair with an amp would be nice for a single chair, but you'd want an array on a sofa. Then there is the larger Aura, advantages?

The amps look nice, but are you all running a pair in series @ 8 ohms? Or are you dropping them down to 2ohms? Or possibly 2 pairs in a series/parallel combo to get it back to 4?