What's new

AMP info needed. (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I have been looking around the net for amps for the last few months. NAD, Marantz, HK, Anthem, Audiosource, Ati.
I mainly want to power my front main speakers (Paradigm Mon 7v2s)
JandR has a lot of amps for good prices. But the ones I have been intrigued by is their selection of Audiosource amps.
I looked at the stereo AMP3 and monoblock 5.1 and 5.2.
Do any members use them and do you like them?
Also, JandR have a HK Signature 2.1 for 500 bucks. With this I could run all five speakers or possibly biamp my fronts and power the center channel.
I can also get a NAD 270 stereo amplifier from my local dealer for 629 CAD. I've heard great things about this amp.
Help me out here.
BTW, my music vs movies is right up 50/50.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I would think the NAD would a great amp.
However the Parasound may well be a good match up with the Paradigm speakers.BUT,,,I would recommend an audition on whatever is decided bottom line..Sometimes things aren't always what they seem to be or a good match.
I was big on getting a Cinepro or Cinenova amp ,,but with out the posibility of an in home audition, I shy'd away from this direction.
In a way I did learn a bit of a lesson when I picked up the Parasound Mono's. They may be a good amp, but at the time I had Infinity SM speakers at the rears and also in the center position and this amp did these speakers no justice at all. I ended up sending the amps back.
Now being an owner of the Paradigm Studio's, I was able to audition a Parasound amp again and ended up keeping it.
Bryston makes some very nice and expensive power amplifiers but to me they are not a good match with the Studio's.
You need to hear it for yourself in your own home to know for sure if it's right for you..
This is talking from experience.
Good luck in whichever you decide Ryan
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current
[Edited last by Trevor Schell on September 03, 2001 at 09:11 PM]

JohanK

Second Unit
As I stated at HTT, I think the HK Sig amp is the way to go unless you want to spend more $$$. Other possibilities would be a used NAD 925THX (there's one on eBay) or Rotel 985II. You might be able to find a used Parasound 1205 for a little more. Someone here in Hardware FS/FT is selling the HK 5800 (last time I checked) which is a decent amp for the $. I suspect the the amps I mentioned will match well with Paradigm speakers.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Thanks guys. I will go a hard search around the Toronto area to see if there are and of the amps mentioned (both in my post and in yours) for auditioning. As we all tell newbies, auditioning is the best thing you can do when buying a new component. I'lol keep HTT and HTF updated on my amp hunt.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Here is another amp . People should be receiving this item and begin posting about it within the next two or three weeks.

JohanK

Second Unit
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the norh amp. Why not? No discrete output stage.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Fletcher

Grip
I am an amp newbie so what's a "discrete output stage" and what is so important about it?
Thanks,
Fletcher

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
Discrete output uses matched individual transitors on the output, versus an integrated module.
WARNING: Skip the NAD 925THX..I had one for 4 weeks before one channel went out. Never did get it fixed, after over 2mos. in the shop, dealer set me up with a B&K instead (3220). $300 more, for only 3 channels instead of five. But 10 times the amp!!!
I had an opportunity to open up the NAD hoping it was something simple. The fuses were buried down in the boards, I could not reach them without a special tool. They are designed in the UK and built in the US. The B&Ks are designed and built in the US, go figure!
I had a terminal come off in my hand, cold solder joint!!!!
That was not the original problem.
I fixed it, and sent it back to the dealer for repair.. I now have a B&K.
I use a NAD T751 as a pre-pro plus the 2 amps channel for my surrounds. The receiver sounds better and is built better than the NAD amp was. The Rotel is a good buy from what I heard. Maybe my experience was unusual, but I would not go with a NAD amp again. Sorry, I know there are some great ones out there.

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
Discrete output uses matched individual transistors on the output, versus an integrated module.
WARNING: Skip the NAD 925THX..I had one for 4 weeks before one channel went out. Never did get it fixed, after over 2mos. in the shop, dealer set me up with a B&K instead (3220). $300 more, for only 3 channels instead of five. But 10 times the amp!!!
I had an opportunity to open up the NAD hoping it was something simple. The fuses were buried down in the boards, I could not reach them without a special tool. They are designed in the UK and built in the US. The B&Ks are designed and built in the US, go figure!
I had a terminal come off in my hand, cold solder joint!!!!
That was not the original problem.
I fixed it, and sent it back to the dealer for repair.. I now have a B&K.
I use a NAD T751 as a pre-pro plus the 2 amps channel for my surrounds. The receiver sounds better and is built better than the NAD amp was. The Rotel is a good buy from what I heard. Maybe my experience was unusual, but I would not go with a NAD amp again. Sorry, I know there are some great ones out there.

TomH

Second Unit
I just picked up a new Acurus A200x5 on Ubid for $869.00.
These list for $2000.00 but are on clearance due to the Klipsch acquisition.
Tom

DaveGB

Auditioning
I too just picked up the A200x5 from Acurus. My wife and I hooked it up tonight with Silvercat cables and it sounds fantastic. You cannot go wrong with the current price. I also called Mondial/Klipsch today and was told that the new line of amps Klipsch is coming out with will be based off the A200. For marketing reasons, they will give it a new look/name. The warranty is still good for two years.

TomH

Second Unit
Dave,
I have not heard the Acurus yet. Would you classify it as warm or bright? What other brands in the $2k price range would it sound similar to?
Also,
It looks like some dealers may be buying on Ubid and reselling them on Audiogon and the other audio exchange web sites for a quick $200 to $300 profit.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Ryan,
I think that you should, if at all possible, audition the Anthem MCA Series II amp with YOUR speakers and room. Sonic Frontiers/Anthem is now owned by Paradigm. MCA-2 is the 2 channel, MCA-3 the three channel and MCA-5 the five. Although rated at 200WPC at 8 ohms, the MCA-5 Series I was measured at 170WPC at 8 ohms, 250WPC at 4 ohms (both figures are for all five channels driven). Over a year ago, I was quoted CDN$1575-$1600 for the MCA-5 Series I at two different dealers (MSRP is CDN$2100). The Series II suppose to be more refined with a number of other improvements.
Dave
[Edited last by DavidY on September 07, 2001 at 01:49 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks