Amp impressions?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Will-Layfield, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

I am picking up some amps for christmas and was wondering what your impressions would be for these amps that I have found for reasonable prices for me and should suit my speakers well. I am picking up a marantz ma6100 mono amp which is 125x1 for my center and either a AMC2100 which is 100x2 or an Onkyo m-282 which I have seen varying numbers but I believe is 105x2 all @ 8 ohms. They are both around the same price and both would be purchased new so I was wondering which of the two amps you guys would recommend for running my mains. Also this is my first step into seperates so I am not totally sure on how to set them up. I need RCA connectors correct? Is it the ones that are like a Y so they go from the preout on my reciever to the two inputs on each amp? Thanks for your help!

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Not familiar with any of these amps but do recall a review of AMC a few years ago that was in a major AV rag speaking positivly.
    Truth be known, that any of the amps would probably work fine with any modest to moderate system. (IMO)-

3. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

yeah the only negative thing I have read about the AMC is that it sounds brite sometimes but not always and that was only from like 1 or 2 people so I dunno. It seems to be pretty good for the price.

4. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I think every amp made (except tube amps) has been accused of being "bright" by someone, so always try to take that stuff with a grain of salt.

AMC amps are very well regarded as value amps -- they don't have the best specs or the most elegant designs but they have always provided great value.