1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Amp ideas for aura bass shakers pro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel I, May 14, 2002.

1. Daniel I

Daniel I Stunt Coordinator

Hey all!
    Any ideas for an amp for Aura Bass Shakers pro. I don't have any older recievers to use. They are rated 50W RMS each and come as a pair ( 4 ohm ). Any ideas for a decent
    cheap amplifier? I guess a mono 100 watt amp would suffice?
    http://www.aurasound.com/
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    Daniel I

2. Nathan Crowell

Nathan Crowell Auditioning

You could purchase a plate subwoofer amplifier from partsexpress.com, mcmelectronics.com, or apexjr.com fairly cheaply. I know parts express has a 110 @ 8 ohm plate amp for around $100, but I haven't checked the rest recently. Make sure you wire your shakers in series, or else you will put a 2 ohm load on the amp, which will likely heat it up and make it go into protect mode. The $100 amp would put 55 watts into each shaker- perfect.

3. Jason Spencer

Jason Spencer Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking of adding some Aura Pro's too. I've narrowed my amps down to: the partsexpress one; possibly buying a cheap (sony sawm20) sub and using its amp; or right now I'm really leaning to getting a cheap 2 channel amp (sherwood 100x2 at CCity). All these options should be around the $100 mark. One thing about the Sherwood (or similar spec) unit would be I could put 4 Auras (2 in the couch and 1 in each recliner) and still get close to 50 watt each. I know the amp won't be 100RMS per channel, but it should be more power total to the 4 shakers than the other amp ideas...

4. Martin Schmencke

I've been very happy using an AudioSource Amp Two to power an array ( well, actually, two arrays ) of bass Shakers ( 14 in all ). I chose Audiosource due to it's ability to handle low impedance loads without complaining ( and it was cheap ).

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I have two pairs of Pro Shakers with each pair being driven by a cheap "Audiofile" 150 watt amp that I got off Ebay for 59 bucks each. Its just a cheap plate amp but it works great and has been doing its thing for over a year with no problems so far.

BTW: Audiofile is the name of the amp.