Amp ideas for aura bass shakers pro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel I, May 14, 2002.

1. Daniel I

Daniel I Stunt Coordinator

Hey all!
    Any ideas for an amp for Aura Bass Shakers pro. I don't have any older recievers to use. They are rated 50W RMS each and come as a pair ( 4 ohm ). Any ideas for a decent
    cheap amplifier? I guess a mono 100 watt amp would suffice?
    http://www.aurasound.com/
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    Daniel I

2. Nathan Crowell

Nathan Crowell Auditioning

You could purchase a plate subwoofer amplifier from partsexpress.com, mcmelectronics.com, or apexjr.com fairly cheaply. I know parts express has a 110 @ 8 ohm plate amp for around $100, but I haven't checked the rest recently. Make sure you wire your shakers in series, or else you will put a 2 ohm load on the amp, which will likely heat it up and make it go into protect mode. The $100 amp would put 55 watts into each shaker- perfect.

3. Jason Spencer

Jason Spencer Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking of adding some Aura Pro's too. I've narrowed my amps down to: the partsexpress one; possibly buying a cheap (sony sawm20) sub and using its amp; or right now I'm really leaning to getting a cheap 2 channel amp (sherwood 100x2 at CCity). All these options should be around the $100 mark. One thing about the Sherwood (or similar spec) unit would be I could put 4 Auras (2 in the couch and 1 in each recliner) and still get close to 50 watt each. I know the amp won't be 100RMS per channel, but it should be more power total to the 4 shakers than the other amp ideas...

4. Martin Schmencke

I've been very happy using an AudioSource Amp Two to power an array ( well, actually, two arrays ) of bass Shakers ( 14 in all ). I chose Audiosource due to it's ability to handle low impedance loads without complaining ( and it was cheap ).

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I have two pairs of Pro Shakers with each pair being driven by a cheap "Audiofile" 150 watt amp that I got off Ebay for 59 bucks each. Its just a cheap plate amp but it works great and has been doing its thing for over a year with no problems so far.

BTW: Audiofile is the name of the amp.