Amp help needed (1 Viewer)

EdClay

Agent
A good friend is considering these :
Adcom GFA7707 x 7
Sunfire Cinema Grand 200
Outlaw 7700-7
Emotiva MPS-1 in 7 channels

All are 200 watt 7 channel amps. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Adcom and Sunfire are excellent amps. the Outlaw gets good reviews here. I have no experience with the Emotiva. You might want to look at the B&K Ref 200.7 also. And the & channel offering from Rotel.

EdClay

Agent
Thanks Bobby:Sunfire and Adcom around same price. Rotel does not make a 200 watt 7 channel that I could find. Do you know what price range B&K is? TheEmotiva and Outlaw are same price. I think the Sunfire is the only unit that truly doubles down. 8-4-2 ohm.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I don't remember exactly but I think the list on the B&K is in the $2700 range. But you always pay less than list, 10-20 percent depending on your relationship with your dealer.

And your right about the Sunfire being the only one that truely doubles down. Best power supply of the bunch listed. The Sunfire is a Bob Carver design. And there is a 400 watt version available.

EdClay

Agent
Bobby: Again thanks. Any other suggestions that I have failed to list? I am really trying to help this guy get setup right.
Any one else?

Thanks

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Depending on budget you could look at Krell, Classe, and Lexicon. But those start to get expensive.

Look at the impedence of your friend's speakers. And thier impedence curve. For example I have Klipsch RF7s which are 8 ohms. But they dip in impedence to 2.7 ohms in the lower bass frequencies. I have a B&K Ref 200.5 amp that handles it well. But the Sunfire might be better.

Some amps, like the B&Ks, have xlr inputs as well as rca inputs. XLRs can be better for longer cable runs. But the pre/pro will have to have xlr outputs.

Try to listen to as many of the amps with your friend's speakers as you can, in his house if possible. One may sound better with his speakers than another.

Other than that it comes down to how much your friend wants to spend

EdClay

Agent
Good advice. I have the LX-7 but he does not want to spend that much for the amp. I really don't think I should have spent that much. After all to me it's the processor that
should make the difference with the amp just doing it's thing and being neutral about it. He has Dali speakers
that I am really not familiar with. They sound nice with his Yamaha 1400 receiver but are 4 Ohm(Helicon Series).
Will let you know which way he goes. He is getting anxious.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
The auditioning and shopping is the most fun part. I agree that the pre/pro should make the difference in sound, and the amp should be neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks