What's new

amp for tempest pls! (1 Viewer)

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
hi good day, i,m new in this forum im from the manila Philipines, which is better to use on hometheater/music DIY subwoofer.is it tempest 15" or shiva 12" and what amp matches this two.how many percent this diy project to be successful.thanks a lot

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Bernard,

I just built the Adire mid-q sealed tempest sub. I ran it w/ the PE 250W plate amp. After about 2 months of playing, the sub got broke-in. Below is the freq response of it:

20hz - 98db
25hz - 106db
30hz - 104db
32hz - 103db
35hz - 107db
38hz - 108db
40hz - 108db
43hz - 110db
45hz - 110db
48hz - 105db
50hz - 107db
52hz - 109db
55hz - 115db
60hz - 109db
62hz - 106db
65hz - 103db
70hz - 106db

from 70hz to 100hz the freq range is from 106db to 113db. I'm totally satisfy w/ it for both music and movies. It took me about 3 weeks to completed it. It's my first time doing DIY sub and really enjoy the building process as well as the sound quality after it's done. The total cost for me is $380 including the 2 clamps that I have to buy for the project. Go for it Bernard... you will appreciated it afterward...

Alex,

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
hi! thanks for reply, but i want the vented design.Any idea or tips for this vented type EBS,SBB4 AND ADIRE DESIGN which one. Most of the time i listen to music but when i watch movie i want the realism.also if i pick any of the three, if i changed the box shape (but the same volume)is there big diff. in performance.i do love the toughness of PB2+.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The Adire Alignment vented enclosure for the Tempest with a 250W amp will do well for you. The shape is not as important as the interior volume. If you make it shallow leave enough room for the back of the driver and the vents.
Here's some pics. Vented Tempest

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
thanks Tim, another question if i used straight pvc port tube and fitted it in a corner insidewall instead of hanging it, is there any differnce.purpose is to have a strong port fixed inside.also if i put polyfil on a side wall inside ,do you think i need to increase box volume (EBB4 adire design). goodday!:frowning:

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Placement of the port tube is not that important. There are some rules but they never apply in builds of this type. As long as there are no obstructions behind the tube you'll be ok. Also, it's generally not recommended to place it directly in line with the back of the driver (it doesn't sound like you're doing that). If you use a straight tube in place of the Precision Port tube that Adire recommends the length of a straight pipe is equal to the length of the center pipe of the Precision Port. I would recommend following Adire's specification for the amount of stuffing. You can fix it to the sides of the enclosure if you want. Just keep it away from the back of the driver and the ports.
Mabuhay!

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
thanks Tim,but why if im not using a flared port how many inches should i add to center straight port as adire recommend.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
You don't add inches to the center length. For the Adire Alignment design the ports would be 11" in length. The flares are there to reduce turbulence but they don't add to the compression of the exiting wave. The center tube length is the only one that matters.

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
but as i read at adire design that if you use a straight port add 5" to complete the required length.
Also i thought the required center port lenght for tempest (SBB4) design is 5" long and a pair of fp3, three inch flared for kit, but you told me its 11" I"m confused.
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/shiva_apps.htm

location adire shiva vented design (table of content) 3.alignment comparison(noted below the result)

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Yes, that's right. Sorry about that. The flared ends that come with the Precision Port tubes partially extend the length of the center tube before they flare out far enough to become a non-factor in compression. As Adire states that length is 5 inches total for both ends. If that length is too long for the cabinet you want to build you can change the position to the side rather than the front or back, or you can bend the tube. A smoother bend would be best. I've seen this accomplished using ABS drain pipe.

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
thank you very much Tim , I think I'm ready right now!
one more thing Tim, what type of shipping delivery this adire company offered ,is it door to door delivery (much fine with me) or pick it up on post office or custom( in this type of shipping is a lot of processing fee!!!):angry:.
By the way Thanks a lot.

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
I already email adire and i ask if they can ship here in manila they told me they do!, and they give me the estimation on surface and airlines shipping cost, but what really bother me, is what type of shipping delivery they offer is it door to door :) or pick it up to post office or custom:angry:
also i email parts express about the issue but i feel sorry they dont ship here in manila.could any one can help me.:frowning:

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Kumusta,
I'll be Adire headquarters tomorrow for our DIY Meet. I'll ask the guys if they know.

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tim,
thank you very much, your such a nice person Tim.hope you could help me.by the way have you been here in manila you know some our language very nice.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Yes I've been in PI a couple of times. I'm planning to buy some retirement property on Borocay. Beautiful country.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.