amp for SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

i want an SVS bad. But should I get the amp they offer? I really would like to save some $$ if I could on the amp. But if its the best I can get for my money, then ill get it.

I have the Denon 3802.

what do you guys think?

2. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jack, how do you adapted the plate amp to the CS sub?

3. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

I dont think ill ever want to add another sub....

so what do youll recommend? the samson s700 still?

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If you'll never run it wide open, you could grab the $80 KLH receiver from BestBuy. TomV of SVS tried one, and got great results, I think it was within 3-5dB of what the Samson was doing.

Remember that it takes double the power to get 3dB increase. So, a 400 watt amp will only give you 6dB more than a 100 watt amp. Unless you're going to be needing those last 5 or 6dB, you should be fine with something lower powered.

5. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I am currently using an old yamaha 70wpc dpl reciver to power my 25-31cs.I am running the lfe out on my onkyo to the cd in and have it wired as a normal speaker.The reciever is set to stereo.I use the left speaker output to power my 2 shakers and everything works great.Been set like this for a while and no trouble at all.

At first I was afraid that 70 watts would not be enough,well,it is!

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

What Richard said.

If you don't need any of the crossover featues of a plate amp (and you don't), then save yourself from making a box for the thing and just get one of those KLH receivers he mentions. You can even add a second SVS before you upgrade the power.

Wiring is piece of cake and you don't need to do any bass boost defeat like you might on the Parts Express amps.

Ron

7. Jason Au

Jason Au Extra

Does anybody have a model number for that KLH reciever? The only one in my best buy is $100, the R 3000. I know it's just a twenty dollar difference, but want to make sure i'm getting the right one.

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer