Amp for Subs

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joseph Sabato, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone used a Behringer EP 1500 for driving passive subs?

I was looking hard at the QSC RMX 850 because it seemed like a quality amp at the ~ 300.00 price point, but it seem like you get more amp for the $$$ with the Behringer all other things being equal.

One of my old audio power amps (25+ years old !) just died so I am down to my lower powered backup amp, which just barely has enough power to play at the levels I like.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

You might want to read this thread:

Results of the Behringer 2500

The 2500 is just the "big brother" to the 1500. The thread that I linked you to might give you some insight on the Behringer amps.

Also, if you are looking at the RMX-850 from QSC, there is a vendor that sells them for $269.00 -- and free shipping. We just discussed this vendor a few days back. You might want to search here in the DIY threads for QSC to catch the name of the vendor.

Enjoy!! [​IMG]

3. Wayne Ernst

4. Joseph Sabato

Thanks for the info Wayne. It sounds like it is a well built amp.

They even give it an FTC rating of 400W in to 4 ohms (unusual in pro amps); 450W EIA at 1KHz; you have to go up to the next amp in the RMX line for that power.

I asked about Behringer (in general) at our local Guitar store and the sales guy led me to the QSC amps, stating they were better amps; he is also a DJ and he stated that the QSC RMX's that he uses had never given him a problem with a lot of heavy use.

The only thing that made me wonder about his opinion, is that they carry a lot of different power amp lines in the store, actively on display in racks so you could try them out. But looking at their stock of sealed boxes in the room, there were a lot more QSC's around the room than any other brand by a large margin.

5. Wayne Ernst

Joseph,

Like you, I have a local Guitar Center store. I don't know much about the Behringer vs. QSC debate. However, the G.C. employee that I spoke with recommended the QSC @ $299 over the Crown which they had on sale for $329. Essentially, the guy just told me that the particular Crown that I was looking at wasn't anywhere near the quality of the QSC RMX line.

6. Joseph Sabato

For a sanity check, I called a couple of pro gear suppliers this afternoon that advertise that they carry both lines (as well as many others).

Both reps that I talked to said to buy the QSC because it was a much better amp, despite the lower power rating. One of the guys was a repair tech for the place and he was pretty blunt, he has seen a lot of the Behringers come back (blown up!) while there is rarely a QSC RMX back in the same condition.

I will be buying a QSC soon.