Amp for subs, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryW, Nov 22, 2001.

1. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

This integrated amp from Pyramid will produce 2X200wpc 20-20KHz into a 4ohm load (verified when I called manufacturer). I can pick one up new (open box) for $80 from a local store. Think this would make a good amp for a pair of passive subs? I know people have used 100wpc KLH receivers and vintage gear to power their subs, but I'm not familiar with Pyramid home audio stuff. This thing has to be better quality than a KLH, doesn't it?

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

If the manufacturer is correct...it should work fine(assuming it can handle the impedence of whatever subs you hook to it).

TV

3. Richard Slay

Richard Slay Extra

Just one caution. The link took me to a page for a 4x100 integrated. I assume when they told you it was 2x200, they meant it would be operating in some kind of bridged mode. The trick with bridging is that it automatically halves your impedance from the amp's point of view, which is bad. The phone guy might have specified 4 ohms for that reason. But in fact he should have said that the situation now is that the amp treats an 8 ohm rated subwoofer as if it were a 4 ohm sub. So if you then plug that bridged amp into a 4 ohm rated sub, it will act as if it was a 2 ohm sub, and the protection circuit will shut it down. Of course, if you're using subs rated at 8 ohms, you're still in safe territory.

4. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Cool, thanks Tom.

BTW, let's say that a sub has dual inputs (driver has two coils with 1 input to each coil) and you attach 200w RMS (at 8ohm) to each coil, would you effectively get 400w output? Just curious.