amp for my sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by warrick, Sep 6, 2002.

1. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

I have found a place that has resurected my 12" Jaycar Subwoofer, the one I blew when building my Sono.
    Well my question is can I use any amp to power my next creation or will I need a sub amp as I was considering on seeing if there was something cheap on e-bay or at the local pawn shop

regards

Warrick

2. Griff

Griff Stunt Coordinator

You can pretty much use any amp, it is just that you may miss the functionality that many plate amps offer, tone controls, high pass/ low pass filters etc.
    If you want sub amps, check out http://www.redgumaudio.com
    You will have to email them for info on their plate amps as it is not on the website (though i cant understand why it isnt).

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Here's a 120 watt sub amp for $80 USD.
    You actually don't need a subwoofer amplifier. If you could find a stereo receiver and bridge it, that could be used to power your sub just fine. If the driver's sensitive enough for your tastes, you could even use a single channel off the receiver.

4. Griff

Griff Stunt Coordinator

Thats a US sub amp, 120 volt, incompatable with the Oz 240 volt.

5. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Griff,

Thanks for the reply but the redgum amps retail from $450 delivered and that is a little more than I intended to spend(or what the wife will allow me to spend) Still open to any other suggestions from Down Under.

Chris
    When you bridge a stereo amp does it have to be a special sort or can this be done with any amp ??

Regards

Warrick

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Well the stereo amp or receiver should say "Bridgeable" on it. The amp would then be combining both stereo channels into one and provide more power.