Amp for my sonosub -- bridging question . . .

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Zachary, Jan 27, 2001.

1. John Zachary

John Zachary Extra

What happens if I run the voice coils of my Shiva in parallel (making 4 ohms) and running it with a bridged stereo amp? Does it see a load of 4 ohms or 2 ohms? I've been confused by some other posts. Please help, because I don't want to burn up my amp or anything (BTW, I have an AudioSource Amp Two (200 WPC Bridged into 8 ohms, more into 4 ohms, the web-site says it's stable down to 2 ohms, but I just want to be sure.) Thanks.

2. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Well, actually, the amp has nothing to do with the load. It will just provide the appropriate amount of power to whatever load it sees. If you run the DVC shiva in par. for a load of 4 ohms, then the amp will have to output to 4 ohms. However, if this is too low for it, it will possibly overheat. I tried to check out the stats of the audiosource amp you're using, but couldn't seem to find very specific ones. All that was said is that it's 80w (200mono) and stable at 2 ohms. If it's stable at 2 ohms, then it should be able to bridge a 4 ohm load no problems. (this is essentially two 2 ohm signals sending information together). Hope this helps