What's new

Amp for my DIY sub (1 Viewer)

Bob_S

Stunt Coordinator
I basicaly pulled my sub out of my car, threw it in a new box and want to get it runnijg finally. Its an Orion 15" H2, 2000wrms. I gave it 1200 rms in my car but I want to give it more in my room here. I having trouble finding a good amp for it. I originally wanted to use a QSC Rmx2450 or 1850 but they are now out of my price range. So do you guys have any suggestions as what to use? It also has to put all its power at 4ohm mono.
Thanks

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
Is this going to be used for music or movie duty? How big of a room are you looking to power?

Thats a lot of power for a standard or even a large sized room. You do not need as much power in a HT as you do in a car.

Also what are the specs of the box you built? If you have the room and dont mind building a new box I would suggest making a box of around 10-12 cubes tuned to 20hz. Wont take much power to get it going then and it should play relatively flat and nice and low (16hz f3). ~1000w would be insane in that enclosure.

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a Behringer EP2500 for 350 dollars a few months ago. It is a solid amp and puts out over 2000 watts into 4ohms bridged mono.

The only problem with it is its fan noise is a bit loud.

Bob_S

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you guys are going hate me for this but, its my dorm room. about 20x12, with 10ft ceilings. The box is 3.0 tuned 30hz, its not much for sq, but the sub wasn't meant for sq. I can't really biuld a new box now, espically a 10 cube one cause space is very limited, now espically with the addition of my Paradigm monitor 5v3's, alot of space is being wasted. This is a 85% music system, with an occasional movie.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Can you lengthen the port at all? If the port is made from PVC pipe, maybe make a bend it inside the enclosure using one of those U thingies so you can drop the tuning. With what you have, it gives a very large and wide hump(around 6dB centered at 50Hz).

Bob_S

Stunt Coordinator
can't lengthen it, its a slot port not pvc, also by lengthening it I will drastically drop the internal volume. This box was designed for my car to give a semi-flat response with a slight peak. I'm not sure about the room, but it peaked at the res freq of my car.

Bob_S

Stunt Coordinator
I can but from what I've heard I'll be wasting the sub's potential. Its a ported box sub essentially.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks