Amp for ML electrostats

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Royster, May 30, 2002.

1. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'm on a quest for an affordable amp for a pair of Martin Logan reQuests. I'd like to pick up a used adcom GFA555 or two for bi-amp. Or a rotel 1080 new.

I've heard MLs are hard to drive due to their planar nature and low impedance/high voltage (instead of the current needed for dynamic speakers). Anybody have any ideas? I'd like to keep costs below 1000 and good power of 150 watts or more. This model speaker dips to 1.2 ohms in the very upper frequency range.

For some reason people don't seem to like adcom paired with electrostats.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

John,

I don't know if you can find one at your price point, but good candidates include amplifiers from:

Aragon (8008-ST or 8008-BB)
    Sunfire Stereo Amplifier
    Bryston 4B-ST
    Cinepro 1K2

All of these will be very good, and to get them at your price point you would need to pursue them on the used market.

Regards,

3. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

John, I run my SL3's with a Musical Fidelity A3cr rated at 120x2 and it drives them quite nicely...I wouldn't be too concerned about the "rating" but you just want a very clean amp, for the ML's are very revealing! MF a3cr's can be found around 900-1k used.

E

4. John Royster

Thanks John. I certainly value your opinion. Seems like those models keep popping up for MLs. I gotta figure out how this internet auction thing works. [​IMG] I'm lurking audiogon pretty hard.
    Erik - Revealing would be an understatement. [​IMG] I've kinda screwed myself now. Bought these fabulous speakers that I love, now I hear every flaw in my system in addition to instruments/detail I never knew were there.
    So Adcom is a no-no for Martin Logan?

5. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Classe' works perfectly with Martin Logan. I'd look for a used Classe' CA-200 on www.audiogon. One can be had for under $1500. It's a little over your budget, but it is a far better amp than Adcom, Aragon, Sunfire, Bryston, and Cinepro IMO.

6. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

John, I wouldn't say Adcom is a no-no for ML's, for if that's what you want and can afford go for it...here you'll get all kinds of opinions and stuff...some like warm sounds, some like forward sounding gear...what do you like? Figure that out...pull the trigger and enjoy bliss.
    And you're right on the ML's being "too" revealing sometimes. There are CD's I won't even listen to because they sound terrible now that all the "info" is being delivered! But then again on good quality recordings....DROOL! [​IMG]
    E

7. John Royster

I auditioned a Classe 5 channel with the B&W CDM9NT. Is that thing Class A? That sucker ran VERY hot on just 2 channel stereo.

So far the logans have the sound I like not really bright, not really warm just silky smooth. Not forward or laid back, just deep. So a powerful, accurate amp with a very slight tendency toward warm would be nice, take a little off the digital edge so to speak or maybe I should take that edge off with a good DAC. (damn this hobby)

Thanks again for all the input guys. If I buy an amp it will be used and it is hard to pick an amp when I haven't heard it in my room.

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

You definitely don't want to use Adcom with ML's. They won't do your speakers any justice at all. I have an Adcom 545 that I'm using to run my Maggies and I can't stand it, absolutely the worst link in my system. If I could get the WAF to go ahead and get a new/used amp, I'd give you mine. Well...maybe not. But I'd certainly ditch it from my system in a heart beat. The amp provides power okay enough, there just isn't anything about the sound that is involving. I second looking for a used Classe or Aragon.

9. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

John,
    I think there's one adcom amp that easily handle dips to 1.2 ohms: the gfa-565 monoblocks (retailed $999 each in 1990, that's about $2k in today's dollars). I believe rated an impressive 850 watts continuous into 2 ohms, ~ 24 output devices per channel, ~ 60 pounds each.
    Here's a pair for $899 from a dealer (which is approx the ebay value should you upgrade later):
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ran&1027544933
    Nice reviews:
    http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_115539_1583crx.aspx
    Couldn't find you a pic, but I'm sure you can if you try.
    Ricky