What's new

Amp for 4 Aura Pro Bass Shakers (1 Viewer)

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a single AMP that can power 4 Aura Pro Bass Shakers. So far it looks like I'm going to need two 70w amps for about $160. Any other suggestions.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Check out partexpress. You'll find several inexpensive mono (subwoofer) amps that are great for shakers. I am using a 150w mono to drive 4 auro pro shakers and actually run the gain on about 25%.....

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
how about using an old dolby pro logic receiver? Maybe put it on simulated surround and use the front, center, Left and maybe one surround channel. I was thinking about doing this with my old receiver.

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Can I hook The 4 bass shakers in series and use one sub amplifer?

btw, thanks for the input guys!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yes, you can hook up all 4 shakers to a mono amp. The shakers will come with a wiring schematic so you will get t he parallel/series thing right...... or download it from parts express or smarthome.........
While,yes, the use of an old receiver may do ok, typically a standard receiver won't handle the low end signal properly, and you end up with the shakers responding to voice and other signals. A properly setup shaker system/mono sub amp, will only transmit an lfe to the amp which in turn will energize the shakers properly. They are really a great addition when set up properly.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yes, that is the type, although that particular one is probably a little too big for shakers. The 120w version, part # 300-792 (parts express) will be perfect (and less expensive) for the shaker application. Still, gain will probably have to be run less than half. I have mine actually mounted in the bottom shelf of my entertainment center shelving. Once setup, seldom is there any need to actually adjust it. The one above appears to actually have the guts enclosed whereas when I bought mine, the guts were exposed forcing a box to be built for protection.

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a danger of overloading? Reason I want to get a higher rated one is I may add more bass shakers in the future. at 16 ohms between the 4 bass shakers it should have a 75Watt RMS. Which is the max on a bass shaker.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
If I remember correctly, the Pro Aura is rated at 50w max. I have 4 pros wired for a 4 ohm presentation to the amp. 2 (each) in series, then those 2 pair in parallel. As I mentioned, I've had mine for about 5 years, on the 150w amp, gain at about 25%, and they have never given any problem even back in the days when I ran my system up around reference levels and my couch sometimes seemed to jump off the floor. Regarless how many shakers you eventually hook up, wiring should be in order to keep your ohm load at 4. I would say that the 120w mono amp would really surprise you with its output and you'd probably find yourself setting the gain at less than half. The Auras react very well at low wattage.... my first amp for mine yearas ago, was an Aura 25w and they were great..... I too believed more wattage would be better, but it wasn't much better, if any.

Be sure to find a solid mounting position in your couch frame and hold on when you put in a movie with significant lfe.......

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I highly recommend a stereo 100wpc receiver with a remote.
I picked up a sony cheapo receiver for 75 bucks. Its great and I can control how much shaking I want.

scott

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Personally I think the 120 would do just fine. As I mentioned, the Aura Pro react very well to very little wattage. If you can get a deal on the larger amp, just make sure you start with the gain on the low side when you get'em setup. Good luck. You're really in for a treat adn a wonderful, cheap addition to HT.....

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yep, Chuck, you are right..... I finally found the part number for mine and it IS the same as the 120w model. The manual with mine is probably where I got the 150w info. It is a rock solid performer. I've been going through my collection of The Lord Of The Rings trilogy again the past couple of days ,and I found myself holding on several times to keep from being bucked off the couch!!!! Enjoy.

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! my ass is sure. These things are definitly a boost. I ended up only needing the two :). I would like to ask about calibration. I figure as the it's optimal frequency 40 hz would setting the crossover to 50 hz be decent setting. Giving a frequency response of 30 hz to 50 hz. Also if anyone has any ideas on vibration absorbent material it would much apprecated as the buttkicker isolators cost $50 for four of them.
As for my extra pair of shakers. Maybe I'll hook them up to my bed ;)

Thanks for the input guys. HTF RULES!!!!!!!!

dickTH

Grip
So chuck, 2 of these were plenty for a full-size couch? What do you have the gain at?

So help a newbie...my receiver's crossover is set at 80hz, I would then install an adapter like this: ( http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=181-852 ) And run the cable to the new amp, just like it's another sub.
I have the crossover in my current sub disabled as I use the receiver's crossover, but I would set the crossover on the new amp to 40 or 50 hz?

Also, you just wire them with regular speaker cable?

Thanks

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yeah, just regular speaker wire is just fine..... I also started with just two in my full size couch and although they were enough, I installed 2 more and really didn't get much better, if any at all. I have always kept my gain at about 25-30%.
I believe my crossover setting in my receiver is 50hz. When you get up around 80, you may begin to get some vibes out of some voice tones.

Glad you like'em Chuck. They sure add a new dimension to movies, huh?

When I first started using shakers, I too put a pair in my bed..... quite honestly, that is just a little too much for SOME people....LOL

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Ya two are more then enough for my couch. I did add a couple of extra lengths of wood to the bottom of my couch for extra resonance, but it really wasn't needed and yes with the 150w amp I am running it about 25% gain. Also I've found that about 50hz or 60hz is optimal. If you do a low frequency sweep on the lfe channel you'll notice that peak force is at about 40hz, then sliding off at about 30hz, and at 20hz it's nothing. When I first tried out the set I was holding them to the floor while playing Linkin Park. At 100hz I could actually hear the lead singers voice. So keep that in mind

Edit. and yes my couch is a 3 seat full sized couch

Edit Again. btw DonnyD do you use any kind of vibration isolation.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Nope, I did nothing but mount the shakers to the oak frame below my couch, As hard as they shake, it definitely HAS to be a solid location! Actually never considered any isolators..... And yes, around 50hz is a pretty good limiting point. It has been some time since I've ran a sweep but you are pretty much in line with the reactive points I remember. Fun ain't they!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks