What's new

amp diagnostic advice (1 Viewer)

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hello

I have a situation with a friend that has a receiver (a cheapie) and some big honking (cheap) old front speakers and some little tiny surround and centre speakers (it's an older pro-logic setup).

If he pushes the volume up to a certain point a fuse inside the receiver is tripped, a red light comes on and the receiver is shut down and must be reset. It's a protection feature in the receiver.

I made the assumption that this happens because the front speakers are so big and have power requirements well beyond the receiver's capability. Drawing more current causes the the receiver to shutdown. Does this sound plausible?

Recently I began second guessing myself. It is always possible that the ohm rating on the smallish centre and surrounds is low and not compatible to the receiver (IE 4ohm speakers and receiver needs 8ohms). If this were the case should I expect the symptom he is experiencing?

I do not know the receiver's power nor the any stats on the speakers at this time. The only thing I know is that up a certain volume and the whole thing shuts down.

When I get my hands on the system to diagnose I will first look for any printed info on the speakers and start disconnecting them, test them one at a time by pushing the volume.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Wayde

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Yes it could very well be an OHM rating issue as shutting down at louder volumes fits that pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks