Amp decision help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donald_Spry, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Donald_Spry

Donald_Spry Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to make a move into the separate arena. Slow but moving. My current setup is a yamaha RX-V995 and Paradigm Studio 40, CC, and Atoms. At the moment I am most dissatisfied with the 2 channel music. The Home Theater portion sounds OK but I am sure it could be better.

I was looking at the following amps, some used. But being new to this I am looking for the experts opinions. I am trying to keep the price in the ballpark of $500- give or take.

Sherwood Newcastle AM 9080 (5X120) $480
    Parasound HCA-855 (5X85) $400
    NAD 2400 THX (2X100) $300

Any suggestion on these--or others. I like the 5 channel of the sherwood, but I have heard the Parasound match very well to the studio series. Also, since I am mainly concerned with 2 channel the NAD sounds good. I am in need of help!

Thanks in advance,
    DJ

2. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I have the Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 paired with my Klipsch Reference speakers and it sounds great. I know that they aren't the same speakers but the amp itself is ver y warm sounding and heavy...very heavy 70 lbs to be exact. I can only speak for the Sherwood but it is a tremendous bag for the buck amp.

3. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

In that price range the Sherwood is a beast..For awhile you could have gottent he Parasound for under 3 bills from Ubid. They appear to be gone now.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I also vote for the 9080. I own the 855A and love it but at those prices the Sherwood is a better bargain.

5. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

6. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

I grabbed the Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp pushing about 160 per channel. The build quality is wonderful and you can usually find these things for around 6 to 700 dollars if you're a good shopper. I'm also running the Klipsch reference series and I think this amp offered a warm sound which was a first for such bright speakers as the Klipsch. Music sounds incredible on this thing compared to the integrated receiver I was running before.

Anyways, it is worth your time to check into this amp in my opinion (given your price range). Goto audioreview.com for a good consumer reviews on this unit and a ton of others. A VERY helpful site.

-J

7. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

I saw some Parasound 1500A amps on audiogon for under $500. You may want to check them out.

8. Donald_Spry

Donald_Spry Stunt Coordinator