What's new

Amp decision help (1 Viewer)

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to make a move into the separate arena. Slow but moving. My current setup is a yamaha RX-V995 and Paradigm Studio 40, CC, and Atoms. At the moment I am most dissatisfied with the 2 channel music. The Home Theater portion sounds OK but I am sure it could be better.

I was looking at the following amps, some used. But being new to this I am looking for the experts opinions. I am trying to keep the price in the ballpark of $500- give or take.

Sherwood Newcastle AM 9080 (5X120) $480
Parasound HCA-855 (5X85) $400
NAD 2400 THX (2X100) $300

Any suggestion on these--or others. I like the 5 channel of the sherwood, but I have heard the Parasound match very well to the studio series. Also, since I am mainly concerned with 2 channel the NAD sounds good. I am in need of help!

Thanks in advance,
DJ

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I have the Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 paired with my Klipsch Reference speakers and it sounds great. I know that they aren't the same speakers but the amp itself is ver y warm sounding and heavy...very heavy 70 lbs to be exact. I can only speak for the Sherwood but it is a tremendous bag for the buck amp.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
In that price range the Sherwood is a beast..For awhile you could have gottent he Parasound for under 3 bills from Ubid. They appear to be gone now.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I also vote for the 9080. I own the 855A and love it but at those prices the Sherwood is a better bargain.

Jeff James

Agent
I grabbed the Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp pushing about 160 per channel. The build quality is wonderful and you can usually find these things for around 6 to 700 dollars if you're a good shopper. I'm also running the Klipsch reference series and I think this amp offered a warm sound which was a first for such bright speakers as the Klipsch. Music sounds incredible on this thing compared to the integrated receiver I was running before.

Anyways, it is worth your time to check into this amp in my opinion (given your price range). Goto audioreview.com for a good consumer reviews on this unit and a ton of others. A VERY helpful site.

-J

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a Sherwood Newcastle on sale if you are interested. They really are great amps for the $$$. I used to own a Yamaha receiver a long time ago and for two channel, it was definitely lacking.
I actually tried to send you an email through Audiogon the other day. I am at work at the moment, but I will try to email you again later this evening.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread