What's new

Amp Crackle/Hiss problem (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Barr

Auditioning
Hi folks, first post, I'm at my wits end here!

I have a problem that's popped up with my amp/speakers and I'm at a loss to explain it, so I've come to see if any of you could help at all.

I have a Marantz 5200 amp and a set of 5 Mission speakers.

As a test I removed all connections to the amp, bar power and one cable to a front speaker, then I connect in the TV via phono. Whenever I try to output the audio through the speakers I get a hiss and a crackle when in digital mode, however when I select Source Direct mode (straight to analogue) there is no hiss at all. So it's fine for 2 speakers for playing music but for movies or TV (when digital mode is needed) there hiss is unbearable, it's so loud. I have tested other speakers, different speaker cable and another device other than the TV.

One last point is that when in surround mode only the front two speakers exhibit the problem, the surrounds are fine.

Any ideas? Is my amp buggared?

Any help would be appreciated! If any more detail is needed just ask.

Jonny

MikeNg

Second Unit
I had a similar problem with my HK. It's getting sent back to HK for replacement. The DSP circuitry is probably fried. Is it still under warranty?

Mike

Jonathan Barr

Auditioning
I think you could be right Mike... It's over 3 years old now so not under warranty, do you think it would be worthwhile getting it fixed? Apparently there's a Marantz "agent" here in Northern Ireland.

Thanks for the reply,

Jonny

MikeNg

Second Unit
I'd bring it down there to have them look at it. Not sure what it would cost though. If the Marantz is on its way out (you're planning to upgrade, etc.) then I'd forego the extra expense of fixing it and use it as a 2-channel receiver.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks