What's new

Amp comparison question (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
How would you rate this 5 channel amps against each other in terms of how they sound and of course price. Assume you are using a the new Rotel pre/pro and speakers of your choice or Polk LSi if you aren't imaginative :D
Sherwood AM9080 120x5
ATI 1505 150x5
Parasound HCA 1205a 140x5
B&K AV5125 125x5
Adcom GFA 7400 100x5
Marantz MM9000 150x5
Anthem PVA5 125x5
To me the Sherwood and Marantz stick out because of the prices I have found for them. The Sherwood is just an unbelievable deal. Most likely I would use the new Rotel pre/pro and Polk LSi speakers so I was wondering how all of them would mesh. If you own any of them let me know how they sound with YOUR equipment. Thx.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Allen,
I own the Parasound 1205A and you can read my review below. I believe you can get the Parasound for probably the same price as the Marantz. I bought my 1205A for $609 at UBID. I have been seeing the Marantz selling in this same price range unless you find a better price.
All the amps you listed are great amps and I am sure any one of them will be making you smile but I would go either Parasound or ATI. I have noticed that they are the most probably on this forum IMO. I am surprised that you didn't mention Rotel amps since you have the Rotel 1066.
My review on the 1205A:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=78755

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
My neighbor and I have the same setup except for amps. He has the Adcom 7000 and I have the Parasound 1205.
I think that both of these amps sound great driving our Veritas 2.4s, 2.0C 2.0R. To me it's a toss up. The only negative thing I can say about the parasound is that it runs very hot while the Adcom runs cool.
FWIF In this month's Hometheater Magazine the Parasound was the choice over the Sherbourn to push the veritas.
Click here for the review.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I also purchased the Parasound 1205A on Ubid. Unfortunately, I haven't tried the others so will be no help on comparisons, but the Parasound has been a sound revelation both for home theater and stereo applications. If I recall, the first 5 watts of power is class A and this works extremely well with my Klipsch Reference speakers. The amp puts out beautiful juice at both low and high volumes.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
How would you Parasound guys charactarize the sound of your amps? Bright, warm, laid back, forward, etc..

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Parasound is known to be warm. Which the reason of my purchase. I didn't want an amp that was bright and would be fatiguing to listen to for extended periods of time. I can listen to the 1205A all day and still be smiling.

I was also looking at the Acurus A200x3 and after reading reviews many people mentioned that it's sound has a "dryness" effect. I never heard of an amp with a dryness effect. I don't know if that would be considered a neutral amp or not, but I was swayed from buying it by that comment.

Anyway, I am so glad that got my Parasound.

DanaA

Screenwriter
All I can do is compare it to the sound of the amp section on my Onkyo and it is most definitely warmer than the Onkyo to these ears.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
What about ATI, B&K, Adcom, and Marantz? If you can't elaborate on the sound quality what about build quality or which companies are considered a notch above the others.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Powerful and warm...excellent definition. Great midrange...actually, great tonal balance but the mids are not overpowered in the least IMO.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input. I've asked so many questions like this that when it comes time to audition and buy something I should be good to go ahahahahah.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Anyone have the Marantz MM9000? There are some GREAT prices online for it. 150X5 and THX certification have me interested in this model.

Also, how does the Parasound 855a compare to the 1205a? Do they have the same sound characteristics with the exception of the 1205 having more watts per channel?

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
You gotta throw in Rotel RMB-1075 into the list. It's a great amp, especially considering you have 1066 in the equation...

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
Where does one begin the search for some of these "GREAT" online prices? So far ~$750 is the best I've found for a new one and just under $700 for a refurb.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 5-channel amp to use with my Pioneer VSX-39TX (as a pre/pro). What's holding me up is cost vs. resale. I'm thinking that should the addition of an amp not make any difference I'd be able to re-sell it and get most of my money back out of it. Obviously the better the original price the more of my $$ I'll get back if I have to sell it.

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Of the bunch I liked B&K the most. I listened to B&K, Parasound, ATI, ADCOM, Marantz (monoblocks)Rotel and Anthem and going from the warmest (my preference) to the brightest (could be someone else's preference) I would rate them in the following order.

1) B&K
2) Parasound
3) Rotel
4) Marantz (monoblocks)
5) ATI
6) Adcom (multi channel models with bipolar output devices)
7) Anthem

There are a few B&K 125 x 5 models on audiogon for about $700. I think thats your best bet because they are built like a tank right here in the US and have a very accesible customer service (very important to me) in case you ever have a problem.

Best of luck

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input. I'll have to keep my eye on audiogon for good deals. I've seen lots of Parasound 855a's on ebay for very cheap also.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Pick up a Parasound 855 off of ubid for $309 I like the 1205 but it just isn't cost effective. I use the 855 for my 4 surrounds which at 4 ohms puts out 125x5. I love Parasound so much that I searched high and low for a 2003(200x3) and bought it for $700. So with $1000 I have power that blows my Denon2802 away. Separates from now on.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
That was sort of my plan. I was going to get a 5 channel amp while I just have bookshelves all around, and then when I have money to get a bigger front soundstage I would get a 3 channel amp. Parasound seems to be a winner here. Very cheap for what you get and rave reviews everywhere. Any idea what kind of watts it would put out if the speaker was 6 ohms? Even a guess?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks