Amp combinations for a 7 ch system, help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George Kouzev, Feb 26, 2003.

1. George Kouzev

George Kouzev Stunt Coordinator

I thought I had figured it out... I was going to get a Bryston 9BSST for the first 5 channels and use my old Rotel to feed the rear channels, all this hooked to an upcoming Anthem AVM20. Well, my local dealer did not have a 9BSST for auditioning so I got the 4BSST and gave it a try. You probably know the rest...

I have heard my Mirage M5s with a few other amps but the 4BSST reached a new horizon. I do not want to settle for less now, sounds familiar?

I am now looking for a cheaper 5 channel amp for the rest of the channels. My choices would be:

- 4BSST with an Anthem MCA5 (used) which can be found at a reasonable price
    - 4BSST with 9BST (used), a more expensive option
    - 6BSST (same as 4BSST but a 3 ch version) with 8BST (a 4 ch. used), even a more expensive option

My center channel is a Mirage MCsi, an the last option is the only one which would give it the same quality as the mains. How important could that be? I will be listening to music (multichannel included) and movies 50/50.

Of course I would consider a 7 channel amp (the most convenient option) if it had the neutrality, finesse and power to drive my Mirages, but I am not sure if there is one that would exceed the 4BSST performance in 2 channel listening. Even if it did, the price would be astronomical.

Any thoughts?

2. George Kouzev

George Kouzev Stunt Coordinator

Any thoughts on these combinations. The one that I am thinking about the most is 4BSST + 9BST. Would ~$4000 price tag be money well spend in this case?

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Get a 200 x 3 ch amp from Rotel for the center and the two surrounds and keep your Rotel for the SB channels. This way you will get all the performance of your 9BST with much lower price. Get the best amplification for your front L/R (which in you case you have) and preferably the Center. The surrounds dont have to have the best amplification and still be able to perform fine.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'm not familiar with the Bryston models (too expensive for me [​IMG] ), but I have a 2 channel Acurus A200 for my mains L + R, and a 5 channel A200x5 for the remainder of a 7.1 system. I like the fact that for the 80% 2 channel stereo music listening I do, I don't have to have channels powered "on" that I'm not using. They also have matched faceplates and look nice stacked on top of each other. I say, if you can afford it, go with Bryston all the way. They make great amps.