What's new

amp classes?????? (1 Viewer)

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
errgh i forgot anotehr question. anybody knwo why the Pioneer 810s has volume range from -94db to -4db when the speakers are on .. but when you turn them off it goes to 0db for max .. whats the point ??? when you turn the speakers off not even the pre-outs work .. strange design indeed .. let me know if any of you know why this is liek this thans ... sorry about the chain replys .. i keep fogetting things

DonJ

Second Unit
Yogi:

Thanks for the quick reply, but I need to pick your brain a little more about HK in specific. Everything I've read or heard said HK rates the amps with all channels driven is that true. I got this off the HK website FAQ
Now let's take it that extra step. When you turn the amp up and begin to average the 50 watts of power, the amp still needs to put out much more power every time a snare drum, triangle, or movie dynamic (e.g., hand slapping a face) hits. Our amps are able to instantaneously put out 20-100 amps (depending on the model) of high current to the speakers, allowing those dynamics to come through loud and clear, without any distortion.
you are right it doesn't say how long it makes the extra amps for but is this the reason when I drive my speakers at full volume(I don't do this often) it still comes in clear without strain or distortion?

Also is the HK an AB class amp?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
HK are one of the few mass market brands that rates their receivers with all channels driven over a wide frequency range (the others are Rotel and NAD AFAIK). Other manufacturers will rate with only one channel driven or one channel full loaded and the others 1/8th loaded and for 1 kHz only.

The HK max current delivery has to be verging on instantaneous as the wall outlet would not supply this current, as Yogi has pointed out. The large capacitance bank you see in the HKs supply this very short term output.

The HKs are class AB like almost all amps sold these days.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Like Craig said HK is one of the few manufacturers that state true output power for all channels driven. You can take the HK ratings at face value and be assured that you will be getting that true power. Thats why HK ratings seem lower than most makers' because they are real ratings and not some marketing game being played by the manufacturer.

Lyden, high current receivers have their merits, just taking a receiver and hooking it up to an expensive amp wont get you there. The preamps in the receiver should have enough juice to drive a good high current amp, and not all preamps are the same. Some have more distortion than others and some clip the preout signal before others (depending on input/output impedance of the amp/preamp). So not all receiver preamps are made the same, if that answers your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks