Amp choice? Considering Classe or ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KentP, Jan 17, 2004.

1. KentP

KentP Auditioning

Hello All,

I currently have a Denon AVR4800. Great receiver. Last week I may have shorted it out, waiting on the prognosis. I am now considering my options and would like to go with separates.

I have an oportunity to get a Classe 75 six channel amp. Even if I have to use the Denon as a preamp (assuming it will be ok), will this provide improvement? Would 75 watts per channel be comparable to the Denon's 125 watts? I could also bridge the classe amp.

Also considering a B&K amp. Either the 200.7 or 7250 or 7270. Also heard good things on the Rotel 1095. I don't mind shopping used.

Any other suggestions?

When the time comes, considering B&K 50 preamp.

My speaker consist of Paradigm 40's, Studio CC, ADP 350's.
    Will upgrade front to 100's sometime this year.

Thanks for any info

Kent

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This is difficult to answer without knowing the room size, where the speakers are in relation to where you sit, the normal volumes you like to listen at, etc. Now if the Denon were able to ouput 125 watt/channel, all channels driven, 20-20K, and all that, then there's no way the Classe's 75 wpc is an improvement. The thing is, is that I don't know what the 4800's capabilities are with all channels driven. With two channels driven the information I ran across suggests it's got a hefty set of balls. In lieu of more complete testing that may exist elsewhere, it would suggest that it should be able to provide somewhere near its rated power with all channels driven.

Generally speaking, it's the front three channels that consume the greatest amount of power with the center channel taking far more than many realize. Hence, if you suspect that you're clipping your receiver, then I'd turn my attention towards a 3 channel amp and power the front threes and let the Denon handle the rest. Of course, it might be doing that right now wouldn't you say?

3. KentP

KentP Auditioning

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I'm really thinking of the future with separates. Would this be a good place to start?

Room is 14x18. We sit abouth 11 feet from the front. We really don't blow the roof off when we watch movies or listen to music.

I didn't know if an amp would improve the quality of sound. Since I'm going to eventually move into separates, what is a good starting point based on the information given in my original post?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Judging by what you said, I'd say it'd be highly speculative if an outboard amp would improve matters. Myself, I would wait until the speakers come in.
    People move to separates for a variety of reasons and applying their own philosphies as to how they want to do things. What're you thinking of along those lines because I think you need some sort of vision of what you want to do that you can't do right now. Using a receiver as a pre-pro, something else? How separate do you want to go? 7 channel amp or maybe a 3 & a 2-channel. 7 monoblocks? Me, I'd not buy it a little at a time but I'd consider opening a separate bank account earmarked especially for this. Then once you get around the amount of money you need, you can shoot it all at once.