What's new

Amp and Subs decisions for my 2001 Expedition (1 Viewer)

cccullen

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Cullen
Hi everyone, I'm not new to car audio but i've been out of the game for quite some time. I have a few questions that i hope i can get a lot of answers to. First off, I own a 2001 Ford Expedition XLT with the premium sound. However, i've changed out the stock speakers out and went with DLS component speakers in the front and DLS coaxial in the rear doors. I presently have a 12" sub that's not even worth mentioning. I running witht the stock HU, my DLS component and coaxials are not running on an amp (YET).

Now, I want to go ahead and put 2 12" in subs and put an amp to the front DLS speakers. What should a go with? The only thing i know is that i like my box to be ported. I like to hear and feel the bass hitting so i guess i'm looking for a little of both SQ and SPL. I heard a lot of good things about Adire Shivas and Pheonix gold amps. I need some input on what to use. As far as budget goes, i'm ok with the prices of the shivas and the Pheonix gold. What should i use to power my DLS? I also as much as possible want to keep the stock HU. Is that possible??? I need adivice on how many watts for the subs and amps as well. Installation is not a problem because i live in the Philippines and to have a enclosure made here doesnt cost that much. I NEED HELP

powerlord

Agent
Real Name
mark
Adire Shiva's are a nice SQ sub and Phoenix makes a nice amp.Good choice there.What model and make phoenix are you going to run?And I can already tell you that the Shiva 12's will need at least 3.5 cubes total to run loud and efficient,I would usually aero port the box with 3 inch pipe about 10 in. long for 3.5 cubes.Or I would slot port it(which causes huffing) if you don't get it right.And on your mids and highs any Phoenix two or four channel will suffice,also your stock head unit will need an RF adapter to connect amps,they are cheap at any car audio store.It has a remote wire and RCA plugs that plug into your harness.Let me know if you need any help,I am a long time car audio competitor.

cccullen

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Cullen
Thanks powerlord, I'm planning to use this for my subs.

Phoenix Gold R15.0:1
Octane-R 15.0:1 MonoBlock Class D Amplifier
or
PHOENIX GOLD Octane R 8.0:1 Mono Amp 800 WATT

For my DLS component speakers i was planning on using this:

Phoenix Gold Octane-R 8.0:4 Amp, 75W x 4

Am i on the right track here? I'm having a hard time with finding the adire shivas so i was also looking at the Infinity Kappa perfects. They have them on crutchfield for 179.99 buy one and get one free deal along with free shipping. In some other forums some people have to told me that the infinity are good subs. What's your take on them?

Thanks for the help, i need all the help i can get.

powerlord

Agent
Real Name
mark
The Kappa's are beautiful,some of my first SQ speakers were the green coned Kappa's and I loved them.Look at the specs on your amps and the ohm load they are comfortable with and match that with the ohm load you will have with both subs.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Shiva Classic

Other options around that price:
CSS SD 12 From Creative Sound Solutions. More xmax and will work better in smaller enclosures than the Shiva.
Dayton DVC 12" The Shiva clone that works in smaller enclosures. Made in the same factory (Eminence) as the Shiva by the same people. Better warranty.
Ascendant Audio Assassin 12" Like the Shiva and and Dayton DVC 12", made in the USA (Destijl Engineering).
Dayton RS High Output 12" Very low distortion sub. Great sound quality. Compared to the High Fidelity model, works in a much smaller box.
ED 13Kv.2 Best deal of the bunch. $75 with ICIX forum discount until Feb 1.
Cerwin Vega V-Max (ebay auction 9738379236) - I've used the 10" in a car and currently run a pair of the 15's in my home theater. Amazing quality and performance. Ugly though. The newer models (with a black surround) don't have the same performance as these older models. There's also a few of the 10's on ebay as well.

edit - I almost forgot one of the best subs in this price range:
TC Sounds db500 The closest thing to the SVS 12.2 driver from the PC+ series short of buying a used driver.

-Robert

cccullen

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Cullen
i've heard that i can wire the kappa perfects into a 2ohm load. Not really sure how to do it but i saw a diagram before on another forum.

The Phoenix Gold R15.0:1 amp specs:
# Number of Channels 1 - Mono
# RMS Power (4 ohms) 500 watts
# RMS Power (2 ohms) 1000 watts
# RMS Power (1 ohm) Not stable
# Bridged RMS Power Not Bridgeable
# Peak Power Output 1500 watts
# Min. Impedance Unbridged 2 ohms
# Min. Impedance Bridged Not Bridgeable

I think that should be plenty enough power for the Kappa perfects. I hope.

Robert, thanks for the heads up on other brands, i'll be sure to take a look at them. I just would like to hear your take on whether i should go with two 12' subs or just one. Would 2 be a bit too loud? I also heard a lot of good things about the Ascendant Audio Assassins, i was about to get them before I saw the infinity kappa perfects. The ED's are a very nice sub as well, now i'm all confused again.

Which would be better? The ED's or the Infinity?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know nothing about the Infinities. The EDs are designed and built by audio enthusiasts just like us. Ben and his team stand behind what they build. They have problems anticipating new product demand but their subs are an existing line and in stock 90% of the time.

-Robert

cccullen

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Cullen

the Infinities have a 4ohm dual voice coil. That's exactly what i read about. Wiring it parallel to get the 2 ohm load.

I think i may just go with the infinities, i like the ED's but i just keep on increasing my budget. I also decided to put in a DVD HU, so what i orginally planned was just two amps and a sub has now come to two amps two subs and a new HU. I'm really not looking to win any competitions here, i just want decent sound in my car. You do have me really considering the ED's though.
Obviously you are an ED's fan, like i said before i heard A LOT of great feedback from the ED's.

I have thought about going with one 15" but i'd rather just stick with the 12's. Since i started in car audio in the early 90's, i've always stuck with 12's. It's hard for me to break away from my comfort zone i guess. What are the advantages and disadvantages of going with one 15'?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Go to the ED website and search for the word "forum". That will give you the discount price list. Retail on the 13Kv.2 is $125. The forum discount price is $75. You just have to call when ordering and ask for the discount. This discount disappears on Feb 1 so act quickly.

I'm a fan of good sound at a good price. ED delivers that. I'm crazy about the TC Sounds stuff though. The 2000 series is killer. In the past I've used other drivers that TC Sounds built:
Elemental Designs E12a.22 - Nomex and carbon fiber flat cone powered by a TC9 motor.
Elemental Designs E10o.44 - Nomex and carbon fiber flat cone powered by a TC2+ motor.
Stryke Audio AV12 & AV12MK2 - Aluminum cone powered by a custom motor based on the TC2+.
Soundsplinter Rlp-12 - Aluminum cone powered by a TC9 motor.
Custom 15's - Aluminum cones powered by a TC2 motor. These are designed for an infinite baffle install in my theater. They were built by Stephen Ponte before he left TC Sounds to be the driver designer for SVS.

Finally, I have two ceramic motors and four neo motors from Lightning Audio storm subs. These are direct bolt-on motors to the TC-3000 top assemblies. I've just been waiting on the right time for the budget to allow me to upgrade my theater with six 15" super subs.

If you go with a single, more powerful 15 it will probably sound just like a pair of 12s. The TC-3000 will probably be a better fit since it doesn't require as much air space as a pair of 12's. That's because the motor strength (the BL measurement) is through the roof. It can easily work in a small box.

Either way you go, I think there are better choices out there than Inifinity. With TC or ED, you are buying factory direct. With Infinity, the distributor and the retailer are both making a profit. Factory direct just gives you more bang for the buck.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks