What's new

Amp and power for Def Techs. (1 Viewer)

Shawn_MM

Grip
I have a Pioneer 45tx (100 watts/channel) running two 2002tl's,a 2500 centre, two BPX side surrounds, and two powermonitor 700's for the rear. That's 20 5 1/4 midranges, 11 tweeters and three 8 inch woofers running off the midrange input. The room is about 21 feet by 18 feet. Im just wondering if Im asking too much from this receiver.
Next question is how much of an amp would do for this soundstage delivering system. Looking at Parasound and Anthem. Hows Adcom???
Cheers:)

Neal_C

Second Unit
I have a very similar setup (bp2002tl's, clr2002, bp2x surrounds) and am using a Rotel 1075 to power them. Sounds wonderful. Then in your case with 7 channel, you could let the receiver handle the back surrounds and really take a huge load off what it has to do.

Adding an amp should really improve the bass response from your def techs.

Neal

KennethF

Stunt Coordinator
hi shawn...

i have the bp2000tls, clr3000, and bpvxps. i just changed from a sony receiver 100wx5 to the rotel rsp 1066 and rmb 1095. i'm sure that the 200w/channel 1095 may be considered overkill by some people, considering that all of my speakers are powered, but my system has never sounded better. i no longer have any background noise like i did with my previous receiver (ie., there is no low-level hiss from my speakers with no source and the volume turned to maximum). i plan to keep this amplifier for a while, so the extra expense for the 1095 was worth it. obviously 200w/channel for me hits the nail on the head, but probably more importantly, those are clean watts. the 1075 suggested by neal should give you some very clean watts, as well.

i have to agree with neal that rotel makes some great products, and i can't recommend them highly enough. but also be aware that there are some other great products in the price range of the rotels that will give you performance just as good. as always, i suggest you try several amps with your setup, and let your own ears decide.

John H

Second Unit
Several years back I drove my first Def Tech setup with a Yamaha DSP-A1 rated at 110W per ch @ 8 Ohms. I later added
a Sunfire Cinema Grand rated at 200w per ch @ 8 Ohms for
external amplification.
They performed well with the Yamahas internal amps but adding the Sunfire brought the speakers to life.

When I switched over to Parasound separates I used a HCA-2205A/HCA-1500A amplifier combination for several years with excellent results. I wanted to free up some shelf space and am now driving my current Def Tech setup with a B&K Reference 200.7

John

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Kenneth

Small world, I have exactly the same setup as you, Same fronts, center, surrounds, rears, amps and pre amp. And I too cannot sing high enough praise. This is truely ear bleeding power, and clarity.

You cant go wrong with Rotel Power.

Kris

Enzio

Auditioning
Shawn I am running the 2002tl's off a Anthem MCA20, BPX, and CLR2300 off a MCA50, and will soon bridge the other 2 channels off the 50 to the 2002tl's. One note ,I replaced the stock jumpers on the 2002tl's with Analysis Plus Oval 12, and used AP Oval 12 Speaker wire hooked to mid. The sonic difference was amazing, over regular 12 guage (SoundKing). Treat all connections with ProGold. No matter which Amp you choose, replace stock jumpers. Hope this helped. Enzio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks