Amp and noises......

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ChadLB, Jun 13, 2003.

1. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I added a Parasound HCA855a to my setup and I noticed 2 things.
    1) when I turn the volume up on the reciever I can hear a slight noise out of my left surround speaker of it going thru each volume change(almost like a light click sound. I checked all the wires and they are all fine. I use banana plugs for all connections.

2) I need to verify this but when I power the amp on I get a bad hum noise from the TV. If I turn the TV off it goes away. I do need to make sure it is the amp by just turning the TV on.

Any suggestions would be great....oh yeah all items are plugged into my acoustic research surge protector.

2. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

1) Most digital volume/tone controls tend to do that. Mine does it too. I won't worry about it. Analog controls on older amps had bad habit of getting dust inside causing dropouts/full volume scares and scratchiness. A little shot of wd-40 took care of that but I don't think that would work with digital controls. I certainly not gonna try it! [​IMG]

2) sounds like cable ground problem ie ground loop. Do you have cable tv then set it up where you would hear the hum now disconnect the cable from the tv; if it goes away that's your problem. scroll down to "ground loop reduction" for explaination and fix/work-around. Boy, these ground loops can be a major P.I.T.B. [​IMG]

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Dave,
    I have not tried the Cable thing yet. I did use a cheater plug which did get rid of the Hum the TV was making now to get rid of the light Hiss/hum sound from the speakers.....Only noticable if nothing is playing out of that channel...