What's new

Amp always on. Ok? (1 Viewer)

Reid_J

Grip
A little background...I have a Denon 3802 that runs my 5.1 home theater, and a separate amp (Parasound RCA-750A) that powers 3 pairs of ceiling speakers in other rooms our home using the multi-zone feature of the 3802. I was originally going to use the 6th and 7th channels on the 3802 to do this, but was advised that it would be better to run a separate amp for 6 additional speakers.

The speakers, wiring, amp and all the connections were done by an installer. He said that the Parasound amp can't run in standby mode because the Denon won't trigger it on. So I just leave the amp on all the time so that I don't have to always turn it on and off manually to listen to music in our house.

Is he right? Is there any long-term damage that leaving it on can cause? Thanks.

Yogi

Screenwriter
A ratshack 6-12V DC adaptor attached to the spare outlet in the back of the 3802 can be used to trigger most amps. I can succesfully use it to trigger my Proceed and B&K amps. If the Parasound doesnt however have a remote trigger option you might just have to leave it turned on. Apart from the added few $$ every month on your electric bill it wont do any harm to your amp except perhaps increase its life a bit (did I say harm?) as turning amps on and off causes more damage due to startup inrush current transients and thermal cycling effects. So even if you have to leave your amp on dont worry about it. Just give it plenty of room to breathe and you will be fine.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
This is a Chevy or Ford type of question. :)

I mostly believe that leaving an amp does no badness, except raising your power bill slightly.

However, while the amps internal parts are kept powered, they are also kept warm. Know how we do accelerated lifetime testing in the semiconductor industry? We heat the parts up.

But then again, others say that the off-on-off transients potentially can do more damage.

Me, I leave my amps off, and turn then on when I need them. I already pay enough for power in California. :)

I do this with all my gear, and have never had a problem.

Nick V

Second Unit
I've had my rotel amp on all the time pretty much since I bought it. Haven't had any problems, and it's always "warmed up" if you believe in that kind of audiophool folklore.;)

CurtisC

Second Unit
The 750a(A denotes trigger),plug a 12 v adaptor as mentioned into the Denon and cut the adaptor off the wire end and hook to 750 trigger input.If you cannot determine which wire goes where just switch em' around then hit power on 3802 again.I used this on my 3802 and 1205a,worked perfect until I got a 3803 which has trigger out.As far as leaving your amp on always you're on your own.

Reid_J

Grip
Thanks! I was thinking that it was okay to do, but your replies make me feel that much better about it. And I appreciate the suggestion on the ratchack trigger. I may get that at some point, although my system seems to be running really well right now and I kinda don't want to start poking around and messing with a good thing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks