What's new

amp advice (1 Viewer)

mominayal

Auditioning
Real Name
Mamoon Raza
hi guys, moving my Cm9's down to the HT. Need new listening setup. CM9's were powered with Rotel 1582 which is being traded in toward the HT receiver and amp. Thinking about the new SVS Ultra towers. What amp would you reccomend.. ONLY input will be my SONOS ZP90 fed through a peachtree DAC/reciever but dont think that will have enough power so need a seperate amp. thoughts?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm currently "reviewing" the SVS Ultra(complete 5.1 with the 13ultra). I'm powering it with an Onkyo SR707. The speakers I "took out" are DCM TF from the 80s. From my day with them(they arrived Monday, unboxed them after 24hrs warmup) they don't need enormous power. I played Crystal Method Drive, the "bonus track" of It Hertz and some of CM Vegas. Using the Ultra tower on Onkyo "direct" and "pure direct" It Hertz was fabulous up to -10 on the Onkyo. -10 was where it got to the point "louder" was just painful. Last time I ran a power meter off the 707 when it was running -10 on the DCM TF600, the 707 was chewing 125 watts off the wall, so my guess is that works out to 40-50wpc. I haven't recalibrated the 707 with the SVS Ultra yet(haven't had the time yet...will do that this coming weekend).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I haven't, yet, figured out the real efficiency difference between the DCM and SVS either. Initial conclusion is(which really isn't "fair") the SVS is less spatial, so it doesn't seem as loud overall. But, there aren't many speakers that are going to fill a room like the DCM TF600. Should be noted the room is roughly 40x40...so the TF600 would have a natural advantage. Anyway...I liked the overall effect of the Ultra tower.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks