AMP 350 info?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulDF, Nov 27, 2002.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I am going crazy waiting to hear from the Stryke man about the AMP 350. It looks like he is just super busy. Does anyone have one that can offer me info? Heres what I want to know....

1. Does it have a rumble filter? Is it adjustable in any way?
    2. Bass boost is removable?
    3. Anyone have one shipped into Canada lately? Price and additional costs?
    4. Besides being more expensive, is there any other reason why I should go with a 250 watt amp instead?

Thanks all

Paul

2. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

The AMP350 is identical to the PE 300-794 plate amp that is often discussed, except of course for having a bigger power supply for more power capability. It's a little bigger physically too. But, the preamp board is identical, and the construction is the same. So go to the PE website, locate the 'bass boost' modification PDF file, and it will apply to the AMP350 as well.

Don't have answers for your other inquiries.

3. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

where in alberta do u live. I live on campus at UofA.

4. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Alex, I live in Barrhead. A little town about 150 km northwest of Edmonton. Well, I work there. I live on an acreage west of Barrhead. [​IMG]

5. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Anyone else familiar with the AMP350??

Any more opinions?

6. Hailan R

Hailan R Agent

Well i aint no expert or anything but from going 250 watts(plate amp or 272 if you get the 300-794 from pe) to 350 watts you will only see about a 1.2 db increase witch IMo is not worth the cost of the amplifier. Also have you looked into pro audio amps in your area, like maybe a qsc rmx 850 or sumthin, would prolly cost a little more but more then twice the powers.......

7. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Thanks Hailan. I just had a look at the qsc rmx 850. It looks pretty nice but I dont think it has the features I want for a sub amp. I want phase control and need a rumble filter. It is also at least twice the price(though I never found an actual Canadian price) so I'm sure its probably just short of $1000 cad. Too much for me.
    Also, many people here say 250 watts is optimal for a Tempest. More power will only push it too hard? Does that make sense?

8. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Paul, my AVA250 amp is plenty for my ported Tempest sub. If I crank it up all the way, it's unrealistically loud and it's in a large room that is open to a 2nd story vaulted ceiling, an upstairs open gameroom, a hall and a kitchen. Of course, I realize some people like the over-the-top SPL, however, I believe 250 watts is plenty for a ported application.

9. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Finally, I ordered the AVA250. I hope it is an improvement over the receiver I'm using now! Thanks everybody.