Amount of drop from ceiling for L500?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SeanBurnley, Feb 5, 2004.

1. SeanBurnley

SeanBurnley Extra

I've reviewed the shoot-out article from Projector central on the L500 vs. the Z2 and decided I wanted to go with the L500. My problem is, that according to the specs for the L500, on an 8' wall, an 80"x45" screen would have to be mounted literally at the top in order to mount the L500 high enough to walk under and not use keystone correction. Anyone have an L500 mouted to the ceiling? Do you have room to walk under it and not use keysone correction? Thanks SB

2. Tom_Link

Tom_Link Auditioning

I have the 200U and for that size screen, the center of the lens will need to be approx 2 1/2 inches below the top edge of the projected image. I am assuming it is the same for the ae500. I have table placed under my ceiling mounted projector to keep people from walking under it.

3. Tom_Link

Tom_Link Auditioning

Sean,

A friend of mine had the same concern and decided to go with the Z2 for it's lens shift feature. With lens shift, you can position the screen at a lower height and the projector can still hug the ceiling. Awesome feature.....Are you listening Panasonic?!!!

4. SeanBurnley

SeanBurnley Extra

Thanks for the input. That's exactly why I may switch to the Z2 (lens shift). According to the Projector Central article, the L500 lense had to be placed at 12% the screen height from the top of the screen. That would be about 5 to 6 inches below the top of the screen. Thus, if I wanted the bottom of the screen at about 30" up from the floor, the projector would be about 6' from the floor.-- Too low. If I got the projector up to 7' then the top of the screen would be almost be at the top of the wall. Maybe I could live with having to do a little Kestone correcting?

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Keystone correction has been said to degrade the picture. YMMV but that is the consensus. I mayself have played with it and noticed the difference. But that may just be me as I am now getting a tad bit too picky on everything audio-visual.