AMIBIOS Beeps - no idea...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by CRyan, Sep 24, 2004.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I have a new problem with my PC. I get no video and following the normal single "posting" beep, I get three beeps about 5 seconds later.

It is two beeps - pause - another single beep. All the same tone and length. I have no video displayed. I have tried a new video card and switching around the memory. No worky.

Here is the wierd part. Follow me on this. If I disconnect the power cable to the CD-Drive but leave the IDE cable intact, the beeps stop - still no video. Any other combination, and the beeps do as before.

I have looked on the net regarding AMIBIOS beep codes of course and they say nothing about this double beep pause beep thing. They only suggest there should be continuous beeps.

ANy ideas. I am out.

Thanks

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

pull out the video card and reseat it [​IMG] does it see the cdrom when the pc posts at bootup? try swappin the drive around or a differnt power connector.

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I actually do not know if the PC posts - no video at all. It just gives the normal initial post beep at start. Ihe video card is certainly seated well. Tried that several time and it is in all the way. Even cleaned contacts on AGP slot.

If I completely disconnect the CD drive, it gives the beeps.

Thanks for the ideas. Not sure what is going on here except the thought of a motherboard gone bad. [​IMG]

C. Ryan

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

2 beeps (pause) beep is a CMOS reset corruption issue. Try clearing CMOS (should be a jumper on the MB) and try a different video card if possible; but AMI lists that as CMOS error.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, you got it. Not sure why in the hell I did not try clearing the CMOS. But that did it. Can you provide a link to where it states that. I checked their PDF and a dozen other sites and they all listed just beep numbers without pauses and such.

Thanks a lot!

C. Ryan

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

*shrug* just had it memorized.