Amex blue smart card?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Larson, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

What's the deal with the new and improved Blue CC from Amex? I see it has a chip inside, which basically makes it a smart card.
    Is anyone using this? I see on the website that it can be used with a reader attached to your PC. Is this even safe?
    Ohh wait.... the damn thing isn't available in Iowa. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    It should also be noted that their price match gaurantee is now gone. Many people used it to buy nice electronics at a great price. What people would do was this

1. Buy on amex blue at high cost at local B&M store. They now have a full warranty with the manufacturer

2. Price match to the lowest price on the net they could find. This would be from a non-authorized dealer.

3. Receive an up-to 200$ check from amex for the difference.

I got an amex blue for this exact reason and saved 60$ on a digitial camera but still bought it locally! I have since cancelled my card.

Greg

3. Al G

Al G Auditioning

I have one. I had no intention of intentionally abusing the match price system. I wanted it so I could use it if I unintentionally bought a product and later found it lower priced. Unfortunately and most likely due to those who saw a LOOPHOLE caused them to cancel the option.

They also give a 9.9 interest if you need it and a free point system for getting something for nothing :).

You can get a reader for your PC that allows you to get a one time number for use in bying on the net if you so choose. I don't plan to use that option.

Their web site is pretty good and lists all the point prizes. They also allow for you to return something to a supplier up to 90 days for a refund. They will give you up to, I think, $200 if the retailer won't refund.

I use the card alot as the points are better than a standard Visa or MC.

Al

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I have the card, too, but I haven't tried any of the smart card features. I never used the price match, and as mentioned, it's now gone. I got it to have a card that didn't rape me on interest, on the very few occasions that I don't pay in full. Oh, and I can use it at Costco.
    Strangely, this card garners more attention than any Gold/Platinum/whatever I've had, at the register. Not sure why, but every cashier comments on it.

Todd

5. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

New and improved? I've had one of these for like three years now. I've never used the reader that came with it. Hooked it up to my PC, but never got around to installing the software, and eventually just threw it in a box.
    Card is great, though. I like American Express. Only problem is, not everyone accepts it. [​IMG] So, I carry a Visa, too.
    As for that price match system - darnit!! I didn't know that existed! I could have abused it, too... [​IMG]

7. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

The only time I've used the smart chip on my Blue is for a TicketMaster promotion for a Tom Petty concert last summer. There was a separate will-call line at the venue (Nissan Pavilion in VA) that was much shorter than the other lines, and they used a smart chip reader to verify your purchase. I also got a free CD for participating [​IMG].

8. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Have any of you seen the Paypal credit card?? Jinkys - it looks cool as hell. I would definitely want that if i wanted cashiers to pay more attention to me! [​IMG]