America's Heart and Soul

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Joshua Clinard, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    There is a new Disney documentary that looks really good. It's about what makes America so great. I would really like to see it, but it's not playing in my area yet. Maybe our area will get it if it get's popular. If it's in your area, go see it, and tell us how it is. Tell all your freinds. We need to get the word out about this! Here is a preview!

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/heartandsoul/

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, it doesn't open until tomorrow (2 July), so that explains why it's not in your area yet. It's tough to tell from looking at the local (Boston) listings just how wide a release it's getting, but it is playing at both boutique (Landmark Kendall Square) and mainstream (Loews Boston Common) theaters, which usually indicates a wide release.

There's some speculation on the movie's origins that suggests the motives for making it aren't totally pure, but the trailers in front of virtually every movie I've seen at Kendall for the past month or so suggest that it is, at the very least, very nicely photographed.

3. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Despite the "speculation" contained in that link, seeing as how no one knew when 9/11 was going to be released, I don't think it is fair to accuse Disney of opening it this week to counter the Moore propaganda. That's conspiracy theory nonsense. Is this where our society is coming to? Someone on a blog says "Disney releases pro-America documentary to counter Michael Moore anti-American documentary" and people believe it?

4. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    David Poland's been warning and complaining of that sort of mindless and nonfactual speculation for the past several weeks. BTW, this is not DISNEY's heart and soul, Disney along with all the other major studios wouldn't fund a project that would garner so much negative publicity for them (this project, like many docus began years ago, and remember patriotism is almost a crime in Hollywood [​IMG] [​IMG] ), they did however pick it up for distribution and targeted July 4 considering the subject matter. But Michael Moore sat down on a date 1.5 weeks earlier and after some stupid anti-Moore websites began an ill-timed and even more ill-considered Moore-hatefilled support of this movie the bad press jumped on the oppurtunity to knock Disney as much as possible. Not all that different from the bashing Disney has taken for distributing Walden Media's bomb Around the World in 80 Days.

Could a mod please change the title to AMERICA'S heart and soul, the actual name of the film.

Adam

5. Rob Bartlett

Rob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

The movie was definately not made to counter Farenheit 911 that much I can tell you. Disney may lean that way, (and would like to remian on the Bush family's good side) but I don't believe it had competition in mind. I think the website Move America Foward however has does its best to make it look like a cynical attempt at countering Moore's doc.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Well, we didn't get it anywhere in North Carolina.

We did, however, get "Control Room."

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Done.

BTW, it would have been done sooner if you'd used the "report this post" function or emailed one of us. When are people going to figure out that, if you want a moderator to do something, posting a general "would a mod please . . ." message is the least effective form of communication?

M.

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I just read Roger Ebert's review of this movie, and I'm still sort of puzzled as to what the point of it is. Personally I like to watch stories about people overcoming difficulties, and that seems to be part of this at least. However, a movie with the title "America's Heart & Soul" should IMo aspire a little higher than being a string of glossily filmed "People Magazine" articles, which is all this seems to be.

I'll probably rent it when it comes out, maybe make it a double feature with "Fahrenheit 9/11". [​IMG]